Almost Bee Glue?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ichbinpaul

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
TBH & Langstroth
I have to remove some bees from a roof before some roofers come to fix a friends roof! I am going to vacuum them, it should be an interesting day because they are stingy girlies and its a masive feral colony, my question is has anyone found a very successful glue recipe for attaching free comb onto top bars as I know bees wax alone just melts the comb and eventually they fall, hopefully they will have some salvageable brood/stores! and any other tips on the subject would be appreciated indeed.:sos:

String, elastic bands or those clippy hair things?

Best way I saw on youtube was setting the elastic bands on the frame and putting comb in and moving them across - the bees will fix it in (although maybe not at this time of year as well as earlier)

Those plastic cable tie thingies work quite well, quick and not too fiddly if you're wearing gloves

I have to remove some bees from a roof before some roofers come to fix a friends roof! ...

Easier might be to wait until the roofers arrive, with scaffolding, etc ?

Not the best of weather forecast for roof work!
How long have you got?

Easier might be to wait until the roofers arrive, with scaffolding, etc ?

Not the best of weather forecast for roof work!
How long have you got?

They are going to re-thatch the ridge in about four weeks time! I wanted him to wait until spring, but alas work has to go ahead, plus I am going to cut out a section through a ceiling, I dont think scaffolders will like being stung, and these sting on sight, I may well resort to the old knicker elastic etc.

Hi Paul,
Needs must, but absolutely wrong time of the year for the bees to be moved. I would call on all your friends to donate drawn comb with stores or empty, feed fondant or broken stores and hope you have got the queen and the winter bees! Thanks for trying and lots of luck.

[...] has anyone found a very successful glue recipe for attaching free comb onto top bars as I know bees wax alone just melts the comb and eventually they fall ...

I use two methods:

the first is better with small combs, and in warmer weather. Clear-off the bees (obviously), and cut the upper edge of the comb cleanly with a hot knife (knife just immersed in boiling water is ok). Then lie flat and place against the top bar. Pad the comb underneath if necessary to bring it in line with the top bar's centre. Then drip 'barely molten' wax from a turkey baster onto several places (say half-a-dozen) where the comb touches the top bar. One drip on each spot, no more. Leave for a couple of minutes, then repeat. It builds up wax like a candle in a bottle on a draughty night-club table.
Then - and this is the tricky part - carefully turn the top-bar/comb combo over, and repeat on the other side.

Having done those 'spot welds', it's then up to the bees to repair the comb fixings to their specification.

The second method - which is more suitable for large/ heavy combs, especially at this time of year - is to staple some lightweight square (say, 1") metal mesh to one side of a top bar. In several places, where the wires cross - snip the 'cross', so that you then have 4 wires which don't quite touch.
Lay the mesh down with the top bar uppermost. Bend each of these wires upwards, to form vertical 'spikes'. Repeat, so that you have half-a-dozen of these 'spike clusters' spread right across the mesh. Then, simply lay the comb down on top of these spikes, with the top edge close to, or touching the top bar, and press it down onto the spikes.

It should hold 'as is', but I prefer to staple another 'unspiked' mesh to the other side of the top bar, and loosely tie the two meshes together at their perimeters, with the comb sandwiched between them.

Regards

LJ

The best way I've seen to secure wild comb from cutouts into frames is to prepare frames with chicken wire stapled to one side and the bottom with enough loose to go back to the top on the other side and secure with one or two staples once the combs in. Very quick and effective.

Hi Paul,
Needs must, but absolutely wrong time of the year for the bees to be moved. I would call on all your friends to donate drawn comb with stores or empty, feed fondant or broken stores and hope you have got the queen and the winter bees! Thanks for trying and lots of luck.

Good advice.

I refuse to do them this late in the year as the odds are so, so stacked against the colony being viable and surviving. In fact mid August is the cut of date for me and even that late I'm reluctant.

Bands top to bottom and not side to side to prevent comb falling down.

Chris

Thank you all, lots of info and supporting comments.

Latest posts

Back