Allotment neighbour issues

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mocko

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi All,

Been keeping my bees on an allotment for over a year now and no problems. The plot holder next to me has decided to take on some spare land behind my apiary (but has already got a plot at the side of them. I did warn him that it can be possible for bees to chase or warn them off if they get too close. The guy is constantly constructing loft's for his pigeons which is upsetting the bees and after hammering a fence very close to the apiary, they have decided to "mob him" (in his words) but not sting him. This only happens very occasionally.

The apiary is separated by 7ft high scaffold netting to get the bees as high as possible. Are there any other things I can do about this? I've tried to explain that bees can be defensive especially with loud noises but can possibly see the situation getting worse as bees numbers increase and weather improving.

I'd appreciate your advice

A

Difficult..... I would start looking for another site just in case! Hopefully they will leave him alone when he stops hammering. Tell him his pigeons keep sh&&&&ing on you and see what his reaction is!!

Are there any other things I can do about this?

Yes. You can move your bees? Make the netting into a solid barrier for a while? Ask him to work only at night?

I'm not sure pigeons would be allowed on some allotments. Might be worth checking the rules, seeing as you're the one producing food with your bees, and his pigeons are probably just for racing.

Not quite sure what this "mobbing" is. It's not a behaviour I recognise. If he hasn't been stung then there isn't a problem.

Your bees will pollinate his crops, but his pigeons will eat everyone's brassicas :(

Thanks for your replies...

however retrospective advice like "you should have taken on the extra plot of land yourself" is not helpful. Of course I wish I had took it on, or even put the bees on the middle of my plot but it wasn't available and I didn't have a crystal ball to predict this situation.

How far can I realistically raise the scaffold netting without compromising the bees. They do look to struggle sometimes getting over the netting when they are full of pollen and nectar at its at 7ft.

I very much doubt they are struggling.

Either move the bees out, and say to the allotment committee sorry guys but your pollinators are going due to....

Or move them slowly away from the issue and hope that they take another flight path.

PH

I'm not sure how allotments work as I jave never had one. But if it is a democracy and you have a voting system then get everyone to vote. Chances are there will be only one vote for moving the bees away. Everyone else wants there crops pollinated and aren't affected by them. In this case it is the neighbour causing an issue and not you. It isn't like a home, he doesn't have to have an allotment and he certainly doesn't have to have two!

You were there first, he knew the Apiary was there.

I'd say tough pigeon poop!

But in the interest of peacefully diplomacy, take it to the allotment manager.
He should be pretty one sided in your favor because of the situation as detailed.

I'm not sure pigeons would be allowed on some allotments. Might be worth checking the rules, seeing as you're the one producing food with your bees, and his pigeons are probably just for racing.

Not quite sure what this "mobbing" is. It's not a behaviour I recognise. If he hasn't been stung then there isn't a problem.

:iagree:

A lot of allotments don't allow even chickens etc. check the rules.

IMHO -

Look for somewhere else BUT stand fast first and see what happens when he is working on his allotment and how he's being mobbed.

I too, thought you are only allowed ONE allotment - there are long waiting lists.....

When people see beehives - they're going to report stings, no matter of it's their cat's fleas causing the rash :rolleyes:

People will believe they have a 'righteous argument' and easily enlist support from others who see their 'righteousness' as a good crusade against you (US) keeping dangerous livestock where they think they shouldn't be .........

In the old days :cool - before country dwelling became popular : we kept 4 hives 40 feet from the back door - no high fence - our children played there, they cut the grass there and tended a small garden 20 feet away - Girl Guides, Scouts, D of E youngsters camped in the field alongside - barbecues - children's parties - milking cows and lots more within less than a stone's throw - ONE sting in five years-ish - that was when one mysteriously decided to attack the wife :) :) :)

NOW

Organic smallholding says bees don't really work for them ?????!!

Farmer - no use for bees ????

Neighbours see old beehive we use for keeping tools in garden and say they have been stung AND insist they saw bees going in and out where there's no entrance.

Beehives near old derelict, disused play area never used by anyone suddenly becomes most popular venue in town and bee stings abound even though ONLY empty hives there at time ....

:beatdeadhorse5: :beatdeadhorse5:

Find somewhere hidden and tell no-one where they are.

Sorry for long post but this sort of problem from 'bystanders' ticks me off.

there are long waiting lists but if the allotment society are like ours the that waiting doesn't apply if a member or a friend of a member is interested our treasurer has 4

Thanks for your support people,

The allotment does not have a waiting list and is in a poor area. The city council are very leniant on what is allowed in terms of livestock. We (the committee) have recently introduced pigs on site and its all going very well. The guy firstly complained the bees were "chasing his pigeons" yet he chose to take more land around them. Due to the lack of plotholders, we have tenants with upto 4 plots (I have 2 and a half) which I have chickens and bees. The council have approved pigeons of which most of us are NOT pleased...this is because they don't produce anything in terms of produce to eat. They are for racing and making money.

Ideally I will try and work out that he agrees to stop making pigeon lofts and see if that resolves the situation. I really dont know if requeening will do any good? I suppose they are just being "naturally" defensive!

Hi,

I am on my second year allotment keeping. My bees upset my neighbour. I meshed up to two meters high and they get over it (some try and squeeze through and die but most get over it.)

I'd advise you spend a few days down there and wonder about and chat to epople to see if you have allies there. Also chat about the guy with the pigeons to them and see their feelings on that. I wouldn't make him look bad though, I'd say something to folk like.. 'bill's doing alright with his pigeons isn't he..' and see what the response is. If you hve most folk on your side then I'd tell this fella to deal with the issue coz you aint gonna do anything. If you have quite a few folk who aren't supportive of the bees then I'm afraid it doesn't look too good for you. sorry.

My problem was sorted because the secretary, chair, and council for the site were all very bee friendly folk.

mark

I suspect that it is not the noise they are objecting to but the vibrations from the hammering.

PH

With a bit of luck they'll stop checking him out and trying to chase him off when he stops hammering.

Bees are good for everyone's allotments. Pigeons are a ******* nuisance.
Pigeons are edible. Bees aren't. Just make sure you don't eat their rings. :rolleyes:

Easy, just get a bird scarer to keep wood pigeons off your allotment and
make sure its shaped like a hawk !

Seriously I would start looking for another plot on allotments or somewhere else away from the flying rat keeper.
S

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really don't see why you should change anything, he has brought this situation about by expanding next to you.

Tell him to go find another plot, you shouldn't have to!

Back