all this talkin of swarming so bait hives then

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newportbuzz

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
19 through the winter
hi all.
i have seen a lot of talk of swarming about the place. and while i am proberly a week or two behind you in england i wont have my bait boxes set up as i hoped
my problem is lack of frames.
i have more frames and wax arriving on may 3rd. however from what i am seeing the swarms might be well under way by then. so here is my question.
what can i use in my baitboxes to make up the space. i have got a frame of used brood comb for each baitbox but other than that all i have is national super stuff.

my bait boxes are old nat brood boxes
and some homemade nuc boxes
all equipment is national.
any advise welcome
to put it in context i am part of a new club started last year. and there are over 60 new beeks with new hives in my area(30miles diameter). So not bad pickings (not counting me of course)

Don't think you need to fill all the space - just a Nuc size box and a bit of used manky frame. They sometimes go into old derelict hives -they are not always filled with frame. Just smell good...
You can collect in that box -then soon after they have arrived- transfer to a new brood box. Transfer 1 frame with a little brood on (no bees) from another hive to the swarm as you hive them- they will stay put.

lovely so the full hive isnt needed at all. just the one old brood frame will do. All my locations are at friends houses so they can keep an eye on if someone moves in.
Would the frames be needed to transport them. or will just the one be ok? Should i place the one frame towards the back / front of the hive to reduce possible movement during the transport?
ps thanks for fast reply heather.

bees do prefer boxes nearer to BB size rather than nucs.

also fit entrance reducers - they prefer smallish holes.

if you have any queens for destruction squash them into the box (ron hoskins tip)

have had an old smith hive set out for last few weeks at home home - finally got round to adding a lure, old brood comb and some frames with starter strips and before i could finish cutting lugs to size had 1 visitor and by time i closed up there were 5 buzzing around.

RAB - are all your out hives checked? they may be your bees.

at his talk yesterday ron hoskins says he always kills queens on one particular fence post in the apiary which then acts as a swarm magnet.

newport buzz - just acts like natural pure swarm lure!!!!

the evidence comes from chap who wanted to see how far drones could fly to find queen - attached queen to mast of boat and headed across a lake. for years after, despite being out in all weathers, mast tip still proved attractive to bees.

RAB - are all your out hives checked? they may be your bees.

Not mine, or shouldn't be! Only one strong enough at the moment and possibly will swarm imminently, but no signs at the back end of the week and it has 2 brood frames and a super to draw and fill. Could be close by the time I next inspect......

Regards, RAB

thanks drstitson
Interesting info. Wonder how long her smell hangs around for. I am in the happy position of having no queens needing squashing but i am sure that will change in time. and then i will try this out.
looking forward to seeing how it plays out.
I have a nuc box that was robbed out last year mabey the queen left her smell behind her i will have to see if that box is more sucessful than the others.

I left a bait hive (15" x 15" box) in the apiary about 10 ft from my one home hive. I noticed today that there were 20 or so bees at the entrance of the bait hive. Not sure if they were my own bees or someone else's

"Not sure if they were my own bees or someone else's"

poor husbandry - don't you have a ministry flock number tattooed on the ears of all yours?

Actually they have a rose tatooed just above the nasanov gland, but being scouse bees, they're a bit chavvy.

Latest posts

Back