Alien Jelly

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erichalfbee

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
OK you lot are clever at identifying things
I spotted this on a walk out this afternoon and similar sightings have been reported in The Lakes. Not sticky just a jelly.It's caused quite a buzz.

This is from our local paper.......don't you just love 'em
Scientists admit they don't know what causes the phenomenon, but some national newspapers have speculated that it could be 'alien jelly', like that found by four policemen in Philadelphia in 1950 - an incident which inspired the sci-fi B-movie The Blob, starring Steve McQueen.

Any idea?

Last edited:
That rang a bell- I remember hearing a programme on the radio about it. Known for centuries as 'star jelly' as it was thought to fall from the sky. Now reckoned to be the oviducts of frogs. Apparently at this time of year the jelly for frogspawn is starting to form in the oviducts, and when birds eat frogs they will reject them or vomit them up. They are white when first regurgitated, but turn clear presumably as they absorb moisture.

I bet you're glad you asked now! :D

That's much better than the punt from a local "naturalist" who proclaimed it to be deer semen........

Jelly fish, I think it was a hurricane sucking them up for the sea and dropping them miles inland.

Having been through 4 hurricanes myself at sea, I have seen all sorts of things flying through the air, including other boats....

It's a slugs sex squishy. See it on the decking often after their nightly rummagings with each others unmentionables.

Latest posts

Back