Advise to new beekeepers - get a mentor (if you can!)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toffeesmum

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
For a change, a thread of observation as opposed to request for help/advise... if you are new to bee keeping, where possible get a mentor... they are INVALUABLE!!

We 'snared' our Mentor from this site (you know who you are (wink)) and had a few questions well before we took it any further. Including a rather excited phone call from me asking for advise on purchasing some used equipment etc etc

After attending the local BKA Beginners Course back in March this year, we installed our Nuc of bees on 1st May in our 14 x 12 hive. During the 14 weeks between then and now, our Mentor has tirelessly answered many questions/queries about various topics and I am pleased to announce that this coming Wednesday I am planning to harvest a super of honey, which I really had no expectation of for my first year bee keeping. I know it's rather an exceptional summer (well it was!) but even so, keeping the memento going with the Mentor has helped immensely. One thing to mention, Mentor does not live in area, so has never visited my hive, it's purely from my description etc.

I have also learned a great deal from this forum too and love reading the great variety of topics covered including the replies, which can be both interesting, contradictory and amusing all in one!!

Thank you Mentor and all you who contribute to the forum.

Happy Bee Keeping

Ahhhhhh.... Wink!
Nice to read something positive from the start.
Roll on year two when you start to feel in control!

I think 'If you can' is the critical bit ...

This recent thread highlights some of the problems that are faced ...

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=25641&page=2

mentoring can be quite an onerous task if the person being mentored turns out to be 'high maintenance'. More and more newbies are coming into beekeeping and it puts pressure on those willing and able to fill mentoring roles.

Perhaps there should be a thread started on what is expected from a Mentor and what a person being mentored should be doing to ensure the Mentor is not being 'put upon' (That's possibly not the right phrase but I can't really think of another way of putting it !).

A Mentors/Mentoree Charter perhaps ... What I will do for you and what you will expect of me ?

Any ideas ??

Ahhhhhh.... Wink!
Nice to read something positive from the start.
Roll on year two when you start to feel in control!

Year 2 is when you need the mentor! that's when the trouble starts and the questions come. It's much more fun though.

Yes Pargyle, I know what you mean. Good idea. I do hope I'm not a pest to my Mentor, I guess that fact that the help is email/text based as opposed to asking him to keep attending the hive is good in terms of pestering him although a visit to my place one day would be nice if only to repay tea and cakes!!

I also 'think' that my Mentor likes helping me and I certainly do tell him how grateful I am. As well as share my excitement about having built up a super to extract in less than 14 weeks from taking delivery of the Nuc colony.

Next year, I will try not to be a pain but as you all say, I think it will be a total new ball game as I plan to have 2 more colonies up and running as well as hopefully over-wintering the lovely girls from this year, so I expect far more issues to arise. I do use this forum to help (and confuse) me build up knowledge (oh boy was reading a long thread last night, which not only got heated but left me more confused than before I started (and it was only a 'small/simple' question!!)) I am also a member of the Shropshire BKA, so attend their meetings where possible.

Saying all that, I am blessed to have found a Mentor with a calm/uncomplicated approach to beekeeping, certainly the way I would prefer and will certainly be following.

Thank you all again!

Latest posts

Back