Advice on moving nucs to new apiary

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoHiveNovice

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hi all, just looking for a little advice or suggestions.

I have no option but to move 12 nucs I'm overwintering to another location. Unfortunately, the only location I have is a mile down the road in my new apiary.

I hear/see it all the time, if moving bees you should move them 3 miles away from current location.

This option is physically not possible for me, so just wondering if anyone has had a similar situation whereby they've had to move location less than 3 miles and what methods they used, tips, advice to try help ensure bees reorientate.

Thanks Tom

Yes, move them, leave them closed for 24h if you can (its not in full sun and really hot), put branches or something in front of the entrances to force them to re-oriente and job done.
I have moved hives 500 yards away using this method, get a few flying back for a couple of days but they eventually leave and go back to the new location.

Yes, move them, leave them closed for 24h if you can (its not in full sun and really hot), put branches or something in front of the entrances to force them to re-oriente and job done.
I have moved hives 500 yards away using this method, get a few flying back for a couple of days but they eventually leave and go back to the new location.
Yeah, kind of what I thought to be honest Jeff, just thought I'd double check. I was told I couldn't split within a couple of meters of a hive, but when I had no other option I did it three times and each time worked, not that I'm saying it's the correct thing to do.

Thanks anyway Jeff, much appreciated 👍

Tom

If you need to move the hive by three meters or more, you need to fasten the parts of the pack with each other for the duration of the trip and load it.
I do this at a time of day when bees are flying outside the hive. To begin with, I'm getting the transport as close to the hive as possible. Optimally adjust the carrier directly to the rear wall. I put the bottom board in the trailer where I plan to place the hive during transportation. I stretch a sling under the board to tie it around the pack later.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do this at a time of day when bees are flying outside the hive. To begin with, I'm getting the transport as close to the hive as possible. Optimally adjust the carrier directly to the rear wall. I put the bottom board in the trailer where I plan to place the hive during transportation. I stretch a sling under the board to tie it around the pack later.
eh?!

Back