adding supers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stumorph

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
As a newbie I would like some feedback on when to add supers , Having only recently aquired my bees 2 weeks back I asked a fellow beekeeper who has been beekeeping for years 20+ to have a look at my bees, He said I had a good strong colony and I should put a super on . I commented to him that I only had foundation ( as a beginer with no drawn comb) and should I feed, he said there was ample stores for them.On my next inspection a wwek later I was suprised to find no bees or any activity in the super, still all busy in the brood box, am I just impatiant:cheers2:

Is the brood box on full drawn comb with bees on them all?
I think your mentor might just have decided that more room is better than an early swarm . As a general rule they will move up when ready. If you feel confident in spotting the queen you could remove the excluder for a couple of days to encourage them upwards and the replace it making SURE the queen is below it, there are other methods but your best and easiest route is ....patience!
E :)

On my next inspection a wwek later I was suprised to find no bees or any activity in the super, still all busy in the brood box, am I just impatiant:cheers2:

Yes, the hive is not ready to occupye the super.
And on these cold weathers the colony looses much heat to upstairs.
That is why it is good to add the new bow under the brood box.

.That happens often to mee too

IsI think your mentor might just have decided that more room is better than an early swarm ...patience!
E :)

It does no go that way. The colony may bee in serious trouples in these UK weathers.
It may loose some brood when hive is too cold. YOu may add allways under the brood.

Be patient does not help.

some parts of the UK had 6 inches of snow last night

Stumorph, to be fair to finman I am in Shropshire too and it is a little chilly but......I personally think you could leave it on the top but by all means try it on the bottom if you feel confident enough, at some point it will need to be be repositioned
E

I'd suggest taking the qx out for a week.
Leave the super on top.
Close/cover the holes in the coverboard.
Put an empty super above the coverboard.
Put some insulation in the empty super (a cut-to-size piece of Celotex or similar is ideal, but an old pillow would be better than nothing - as would filling with scrunched-up newspaper).

And be patient.

Its cold outside, wax-making needs warmth, so making the super more attractively warm can be especially helpful in this poor weather.
There are other tricks, but hopefully they aren't going to be needed.

I live in cold country. During 50 years I have had time to see how colonies build up.

Why I should be patient to my stupidity? I use to correct faults when I notice them.

Frost forecast here tonight.

At our Association apiary, we only add supers when there are at least 8 frames of brood..the bottom box is full...

You are giving bees lots of cold air to heat...in variable weather.. Worst thing to do in my view...

Latest posts

Back