Adding an undrawn (second) super

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The open holes in your crownboard act as chimneys through which valuable nest heat is escaping. To accelerate wax production increase nest temperature by sealing the holes.

In truth, such continual loss of heat compromises a colony's aim to expend the minimum energy and fuel to keep the nest warm or cool throughout the year.

A crownboard with holes is really a multi-purpose board and plastic Porter bee escapes designed to fit the two holes are particularly pointless: they jam with propolis or when a plump drone tries to get through, and the plastic gates are not brilliant at maintaining the correct gap.

A crownboard without holes is a true crownboard, and one with a block of 50 or 100mm of building insulation on top is of great benefit to a colony, which will find it easier to regulate thermals and humidity in a hive. Seal the cut edges with duck tape.

Such contemporary ideas challenge routine hive layout and practices and are unlikely to be found in books or in local BKA teaching, but this Bee Culture article on thermo-regulation may interest you. If you want to read more, google Derek Mitchell's work.
Thank you @ericbeaumont , indeed a very readable link about hive temperature/thermals/insulation which I understood such that I'm now planning insultation ahead of winter (this is my first year). I've got WBC hives so need to decide if I use the space between inner and outer walls as 'dead air' or slide insulation between them. Either way, I'm much better informed and already ordered two proper crown boards... which might be redundant if I've not made two of my own before they actually turn up.

Sadly I don't smoke so won't be able to create a nice cool draft to generate condensation even if I wanted ;)

I'm now planning insultation ahead of winter (this is my first year). I've got WBC hives so need to decide if I use the space between inner and outer walls as 'dead air' or slide insulation between them.
Back in the sixties my grandfather used to stuff the gap with straw for the winter and use woollen blankets over the crown boards

Snug fit Celotex for me on top I reckon, as I've always got DIY materials knocking about, but straw would be brilliant as it holds the air still whilst also providing good insulation; hence why some people still build houses from straw bails I guess!

However, I reckon moisture would eventually find a home in the straw knowing our British weather... but if I'm completely honest it's my OCD that would never allow me to add all that dust and debris in my pristine hives :LOL: So I think I'll probably just slide something in there... said the bishop to the nun!

O yes modern materials will do an excellent job; was just pointing out (badly) that there is nothing new about insulating thin wooden hives really.

Thank you @ericbeaumont , indeed a very readable link about hive temperature/thermals/insulation which I understood such that I'm now planning insultation ahead of winter (this is my first year). I've got WBC hives so need to decide if I use the space between inner and outer walls as 'dead air' or slide insulation between them. Either way, I'm much better informed and already ordered two proper crown boards... which might be redundant if I've not made two of my own before they actually turn up.

Sadly I don't smoke so won't be able to create a nice cool draft to generate condensation even if I wanted ;)
Most heat-loss is through the crown-board, so insulating above that does make sense. That's all I do with the WBC's I run. The wooden walls of WBC's are thinner than other hives, but the dryness of them during winter (unlike a rain-soaked single walled hive) keeps them being reasonably effective. I have tried, in the past, putting cardboard in WBC's between the lifts and hive bodies, and it was never damp.
You could fill the cavity with autumn leaves, and then let them blow away in spring when you take the lifts off!
A 3" square of plywood over each crown-board hole is a lot cheaper than buying new crown-boards. Then just insulate over that.

@Hebeegeebee , that sounds a whole lot easier thank you... although not so keen on the leaves idea 🤫 ... I'll stick with the neat fitting insultation above and let the WBC earn it's keep I think. Cheers!

Latest posts

Back