Added a frame in centre of brood

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coconut2018

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Im away working and left the wife to tend to the bees. She added a frame of comb in between the brood 5 days ago and is feeding 2:1. If it were me, I'd be inclined to add it on the outside if the brood. I will be home tomorrow, should I leave the frame in place or move it. I don't want to be upsetting the bees to much this late in the season. Any suggestions as what to do.

Purely depends on how many bees are in the box.......if its well populated and theres plenty of feed gone in, then i bet you will return to find it drawn and laid in. Its not on the recommended list but i do it quite often enough to encourage a bit of laying when i judge i can get away with it. When feeding you may also find that they have filled the frame with food before her maj gets a chance to lay. If thats the case then simply move to the edge when you inspect. Theres little to no chance at all any damage has been done if the box is well populated so let us know what you find.

Last edited:
I don't know how much truth there is in this but it has worked for us, when we got our Nuc and wanted to try and build the colony up in the new hive. we were advised to put any new frames in-between the brood frames as the worker bees need at least 35c in the hive area to make wax? they have drawn 3 12x14 frames like this with no problem, but the 2 new frames we put on the outside has taken them longer?

I too have noticed that the bees themselves split the broodnest.

Im away working and left the wife to tend to the bees. She added a frame of comb in between the brood 5 days ago and is feeding 2:1. If it were me, I'd be inclined to add it on the outside if the brood. I will be home tomorrow, should I leave the frame in place or move it. I don't want to be upsetting the bees to much this late in the season. Any suggestions as what to do.

:iagree: with Ian123.
But thedozzer raised a question in my mind about temperature needed for bees to actually make/produce wax. Does anyone know definitively ??

There still drawing now and will normally do so until the first hard frosts or i stop mucking them around.

:iagree: with Ian123.
But thedozzer raised a question in my mind about temperature needed for bees to actually make/produce wax. Does anyone know definitively ??

i found this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beeswax

it says 33 to 36c

but it was Eric Beaumont who told us about putting the frame in the middle and temps need for the bees to make wax originally though, and he suggested 35c+

currently have very little experience can only go on what im told, so sorry if this info is wrong!!

If the colony is big it works well.
You can repeat it in a week if you want.
I used to do it but I like to leave the bees to their own devices after feeding these days

OP did say a frame of comb, in which case not a problem. The bees draw wax when they need it and to draw it, they need bees and they need a flow. They also keep their brood together so a foundation frame in the middle and feed and a perfectly drawn comb is the result. They want continuity.

Latest posts

Back