Aberfan

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And now they want to ban coal in all its forms…..how history turns on a sixpence
Not a lot of joined up thinking in Wales. The steel furnaces use coal so if they ban it being mined here it will have to be imported to fire the furnaces, which is more "green"?

Not a lot of joined up thinking in Wales. The steel furnaces use coal so if they ban it being mined here it will have to be imported to fire the furnaces, which is more "green"?
As I remember it, we had little say in the matter, I believe it was Thatcher who thought it was a good idea.

I grew up in a village just a few miles from Aberfan, anyone who can remember those tips will tell you how they nearly blocked out the sun. Possibly the steepest, narrowest part of the valley and someone thought seven tips up there was a good idea.

I was also moved by ‘the Crown’ season 3, with their portrayal of the Queen’s indecision to visit (eventually visited after 8 days)
I don't think the Queen was indecisive (as portrayed in The Crown) she was adamant, at the time, that her attendance at the site would be a hindrance to the rescue work and not a help; she was stoic about her decision, although a number or people sought to persuade her to go. She has been on record, since then, stating that she regretted her decision not to go sooner although the Duke of Edinburgh was there on 22nd.

Sometimes, people make a decision for what they consider to be the right reasons but which, on hindsight, they may consider to be the wrong ones. I'm sure the Queen is no exception.

We should always try and separate the fiction we see that is made for good TV from the reality - The Crown, whilst an entertaining series, is just that - entertainment based loosely on the facts.

Coal had not been used to fire blast furnaces for long before the mininig industry was reduced to a sustainable level .. what is required in order to produce steel is Coke - it's a reducing agent which is still required to make steel. Coke comes from a particular type of coal which, as far as I am aware, did not come from the high quality coal mined in the Welsh coalfields.

I lived in South Yorkshire as a child in the 50's and 60's when coal was the principle source of heat, domestically and commercially, power for the steam engines and for the provision of coal gas which most people cooked with, heated water with and lit their coal fires with.

I experienced the atmospheric pollution, the smog in winter, the filth of the soot that remained in the atmosphere, although, at the time Global warming was something we knew nothing about.

I regret the way our coal mines were closed but, perhaps in hindsight, their inevitable demise was a decision ahead of its time ? What little remains of our steel industry is now fired principally by electricity - and some of that still comes from coal fired power stations but these will come to an end in our lifetime ... the world has changed and hopefully, if we are to see a sustainable planet for our children and grandchildren to inhabit will continue to change.

is required in order to produce steel is Coke - it's a reducing agent which is still required to make steel. Coke comes from a particular type of coal which, as far as I am aware, did not come from the high quality coal mined in the Welsh coalfields.
Welsh coal was used to produce coke - you have two coalfields in the South of the country roughly divided by the River Tawe, you have the South Wales coalfield (the'valleys', Merthyr, Ebbw Vale and so on, They produced soft, bituminous coal, 'steam coal' then the South West Wales coalfield, the Neath valley, Loughor and Aman valleys (where I am) and the Gwendraeth valley and areas even further West, even the Pembrokeshire tourist traps of Saundersfoot and Tenby had a thriving coal industry, apparently the coal ranges right out under the sea all the way to Ireland. The South West Wales coalfield was high quality hard coal (dug out by even harder men 😁) although ironmaster David Thomas devised a method for smelting iron from anthracite which was also used in Pennsylvania.
There's a seam of coal deep under the mountain opposite me called the peacock vein, the coal from that looks like black glass, you don't get your hands dirty handling it and, if you use it 'neat' it burns so intensely it will burn out your firelace within a few hours.

Last edited:
Welsh coal was used to produce coke - you have two coalfields in the South of the country roughly divided by the River Tawe, you have the South Wales coalfield (the'valleys', Merthyr, Ebbw Vale and so on, They produced soft, bituminous coal, 'steam coal' then the South West Wales coalfield, the Neath valley, Loughor and Aman valleys (where I am) and the Gwendraeth valley and areas even further West, even the Pembrokeshire tourist traps of Saundersfoot and Tenby had a thriving coal industry, apparently the coal ranges right out under the sea all the way to Ireland. The South West Wales coalfield was high quality hard coal (dug out by even harder men 😁) although ironmaster David Thomas devised a method for smelting iron from anthracite which was also used in Pennsylvania.
There's a seam of coal deep under the mountain opposite me called the peacock vein, the coal from that looks like black glass, you don't get your hands dirty handling it and, if you use it 'neat' it burns so intensely it will burn out your firelace within a few hours.
I stand corrected - I was always told that Welsh coal was just too good a quality to produce good coke ... there were clearly mines with the grade of coal required for coke production ...

http://www.welshcoalmines.co.uk/GlamEast/cwmbeddau.htm
It was a filthy, hazardous job ,... I remember the coke ovens at Parkgate, about four miles from where I lived, that served the blast furnaces of the Park Gate Iron and Steel company - they ran 24 hours a day 50 weeks a year .. they spewed out fumes and smoke and driving past them at night it was like looking in to the jaws of hell. They shut the Bessemer converters down once a year during the works weeks in the summer - I spent two weeks of one of my school holidays in a steel works in Sheffield removing the lining from the blast furnace so that it could be replaced with a new lining ... they gave us a lump hammer and a chisel ... PPE ? Nothing .... just an overall !

It's incredibly sad that cost effective and ecologically sound methods have not been invented (or at least put in to use) that would allow some coal to continue to be mined and used - but I would not want to go back to the pollution, filth and hazards that I experienced as a kid in the heart of industrial South Yorkshire ....

Photos of the coal tip landslide that we had in Feb/March 2020. They are still working on cleaning up the mess.

Attachments

• Best photo of landslide.jpg
    Best photo of landslide.jpg
    605.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Debris after landslide 2.jpg
    Debris after landslide 2.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Landslide 1.jpg
    Landslide 1.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 16
  • Landslide 2.jpg
    Landslide 2.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 16
The coke works at Cwm still stands, after dealing with Coed Ely, Nantgarw and Phurnacite at Abercwmboi. I think the money and/or enthusiasm ran out.
Nobody has mentioned the tip at Tylorstown Bryan, they took the top off that after Aberfan but it's still perched up above. The huge tip at Cilfynydd Common, as much of an eyesore now as it was when I was a kid and the tip behind Cilfynydd that partially moved a few years ago.

I don't think the Queen was indecisive (as portrayed in The Crown) she was adamant, at the time, that her attendance at the site would be a hindrance to the rescue work and not a help; she was stoic about her decision, although a number or people sought to persuade her to go. She has been on record, since then, stating that she regretted her decision not to go sooner although the Duke of Edinburgh was there on 22nd.

Sometimes, people make a decision for what they consider to be the right reasons but which, on hindsight, they may consider to be the wrong ones. I'm sure the Queen is no exception.

We should always try and separate the fiction we see that is made for good TV from the reality - The Crown, whilst an entertaining series, is just that - entertainment based loosely on the facts.
Yes I’d subsequently read that too and agree the series made good television

I stand corrected - I was always told that Welsh coal was just too good a quality to produce good coke ... there were clearly mines with the grade of coal required for coke production ...

http://www.welshcoalmines.co.uk/GlamEast/cwmbeddau.htm
It was a filthy, hazardous job ,... I remember the coke ovens at Parkgate, about four miles from where I lived, that served the blast furnaces of the Park Gate Iron and Steel company - they ran 24 hours a day 50 weeks a year .. they spewed out fumes and smoke and driving past them at night it was like looking in to the jaws of hell. They shut the Bessemer converters down once a year during the works weeks in the summer - I spent two weeks of one of my school holidays in a steel works in Sheffield removing the lining from the blast furnace so that it could be replaced with a new lining ... they gave us a lump hammer and a chisel ... PPE ? Nothing .... just an overall !

It's incredibly sad that cost effective and ecologically sound methods have not been invented (or at least put in to use) that would allow some coal to continue to be mined and used - but I would not want to go back to the pollution, filth and hazards that I experienced as a kid in the heart of industrial South Yorkshire ....
I can echo that about Parkgate. Back in the day, it was the second most polluted air after Middlesborough. In later life I had a white company car which slowly turned a reddish brown from the fallout. Living in Pitsmoor the heavy hammers from the Sheffield works could be heard all day and night.

I can echo that about Parkgate. Back in the day, it was the second most polluted air after Middlesborough. In later life I had a white company car which slowly turned a reddish brown from the fallout. Living in Pitsmoor the heavy hammers from the Sheffield works could be heard all day and night.
Yes ... the red death was diabolical ... my Dad had a white Hillman Superminx and I took it to a friends house in Parkgate and stayed overnight ... the following morning it was covered in the fine red dust that had actually eaten into the paintwork - it took me all weekend with a can of T-cut and a lot of elbow grease to get it back to the state my Dad approved of ...

Latest posts

Back