a/s no brood

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beekim

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Did a a/s on the 20th may new queen hatched and laying well, bias put on 2nd super today .my hive with the old queen, not seen today is full of stores i frame drawn but empty but no brood,has my queen died? my hive was full of bees so i dont think they have swarmed thought i would leave alone till next week.if any one has any advice i will be very grateful .

Are you sure you didn't leave the old queen with the brood? It seems a little too soon for a newly emerged queen to have mated and be laying well.

You said you had bias.

You did a/s 20 days ago. There will only be 1 day's worth of sealed brood from before a/s, therefore all the rest would be from new queen, meaning that in the last 20 days she has emerged, mated (5-6 days later), started to lay (min 3 days later), and eggs hatched (3 days later), and sealed (6 days later). If you have much sealed brood then it can't be from the new queen.

All the advice I've been given suggests that you're unlikely to see any evidence of new queen laying until 3 weeks after emergence, yet alone mature larvae.

Last edited:
how many queen cells did you have before you did an a/s and what position were they on the frames

Did a a/s on the 20th may new queen hatched and laying well, bias

I don't believe it. Draw out a timeline for queen development from capped cell.

Your old queen is the one laying.

Latest posts

Back