A question about feeding syrup etc

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mymwood

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
After some time not keeping bees I find myself the proud carer for three colonies - two swarms and a nuc.

All are doing well, the swarms appeared in May and the nuc was donated to me by a kind neighbour a couple of weeks ago. All are very active in today's sunny weather.

I've been feeding them sugar syrup to the recommended strength. The swarms since they moved in and the nuc since it arrived.

A couple of questions.

How much syrup should I be feeding and how often? At the moment I've given all three hives a top feeder that holds about 1 litre of syrup. The swarms have been emptying it every 2/3 days and are producing a lot of drawn comb and new bees as well as storing the syrup. The nuc colony emptied a container in a day.

I'm keeping the feeders topped up but am worried I could be overfeeding? I always make sure they have a good supply on these awful rainy days we've been having as well.

And, come the autumn. When is the right time to feed fondant? And should I also leave syrup for them as well?

Many thanks

Mart.

If you have a colony that is still drawing comb then feeding them syrup makes sense, as it gives them the trigger to do that. However, if you have a colony that has finished comb building, and is just storing the syrup, you do need to be careful not to continuously feed. Don't just pile litre after litre on. Your aim is that they go into winter with a hive full of stores, but it's only August - you have 2 months to achieve this. If you choke the brood nest with syrup the queen won't be able to lay enough winter bees.

So, give them a break from feeding for a week perhaps. The weather forecast isn't awful. Let them "digest" what they have, and give the queen a bit of room to do what she needs to do. Then you can give them a bit more syrup, and then take another break etc etc.

When we get into winter proper you will have to use fondant, but in practice you can use fondant now if you want. I do. Basically I only use syrup when I need them to draw comb out. See attached for more info.

Attachments

• Fondant Peter Edwards.pdf
    268.8 KB · Views: 45
A bit more information might be good, so we can work out why you were feeding them to begin with.
What are they in at the moment?

A bit more information might be good, so we can work out why you were feeding them to begin with.
What are they in at the moment?
I agree.
I have a May swarm and they have given me a super of capped honey and they have a full uncapped one on.
The only feed they’ve had is 1 litre of invert a week after they arrived.

I agree.
I have a May swarm and they have given me a super of capped honey and they have a full uncapped one on.
The only feed they’ve had is 1 litre of invert a week after they arrived.

For how many weeks or for ever!!!!! Be more specific for the benefit of newbies please.

For how many weeks or for ever what?
I don't understand despite the exclamation marks
Think he's lost his grip a bit - It was pretty clear to me that you gave the colony one litre of syrup and no more

I think it's the case of the missing comma! :D
1 litre of invert, a week after they arrived.
1 litre of invert a week, after they arrived!
That's what I replied, then thought better of it and put, *****
When I typed, "The ONLY feed" I thought it was clear?
Bingevader, you must be a teacher :ROFLMAO:
The bee's knew what I meant .......

For want of a comma wars have begun - just look what has happened on this thread!!!
I agree with Arfermo your sentence implies you fed them every week but only one litre a week.

How about this one

“Let’s eat Grandma.”

For want of a comma wars have begun - just look what has happened on this thread!!!
I agree with Arfermo your sentence implies you fed them every week but only one litre a week.
Sometimes people put grumpy pants on when they wake up. Some members more than others.

Three national hives.

1. A May swarm that moved into empty stored floor and two supers. Drew the supers before I noticed they were there. Supers were 9-castellated so there was too much comb drawn and it was a messy first inspection. Lots of brood and a very active colony. Got some advice re the messy supers on here to move into non-castellated supers and install a brood box for them to draw. This is did and they are now drawing the brood frame foundation nicely. Inspection now a lot easier - thanks. They are busy and took in a lot of syrup.

2. June swarm. Caught by me. Placed into brood plus 1 super. Again, doing nicely. Several frames of brood plus stores.

3. New 5 frame nuc given to me 3 weeks ago. Advised to feed. But I didn't ask how much and for how long, of course!

PS. Commas (esp the Oxford comma) can be such useful things.

Back