a problem with my hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davew

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi. I have a relatively new hive. A national 14 12. I have drawn comb on 4 frames and brood on 4 sides of the four. The Queen is still laying but they have no stores. They are bringing in pollen and I have feed them some sugar solution last week. I am concerned that they are not going to make the winter. Any ideas on helping them to increase both brood and stores at this late stage? This is my first year keeping bees.

I'm very new to beekeeping too but think that a 14x12 seems a very big space for a small colony of 4 frames...they might be better in a nucleus hive for now? Am sure you will get better advice from more experienced beekeepers soon though!

I was thinking of trying that. Thanks for your reply. I will give it a go.

Is she laying well? What is your Varroa load? There's still some time to assess her performance but, yes, a 14x12 is a very big space to fill. Have a nuc ready - be prepared to treat for Varroa but remember that thymol can inhibit performance. Assess stores as you go into the cooler months.

Thanks for your reply. I am pretty new to beekeeping so don't understand the varroa load. She is laying but not too well. I have heard that the treatment of varroa can stop laying. Do you have any suggestions? Im really stuck with what to do.

Davew,
Welcome to the forum.
A few things I would suggest, download the DEFRA booklet on varroa, you will find it informative and relatively easy to follow.
If you are not already a member of your local beekeepers association I would suggest that you join. Most of the associations have a library that you can tap in to but you are more likely to find someone in your area to act as a mentor.
As already suggested, you need to get a nuc handy as at this time of year you are asking a lot from your bees to fill your brood box with sufficient stores to get you through the winter but you do need to check for varroa and if necessary treat. It would be good if you could get an experience beekeeper to check over your hive and give you a steer, if all else fails your local bee inspector will advise you or possibly come out to you.
Lastly I would join Beebase. It's free and you will get a heads up if there is a problem in your area.
You have already joined this forum from which you will get some sound advice from some experienced beekeepers. I don't put myself in that category. You may even find that there is someone on the forum who lives close enough to you to come out and give you a steer.
Good luck.
Andy

Last edited:
By the sounds of things you may need to feed well towards the end of September so get varroa treatment done ASAP, when done start feeding with two parts sugar to one part water and keep feeding until they will take no more. If they are in a nuc over winter they need to fill every available space with food.
E

If you do not have a nuc hive, you can make the 14 x 12 hive effectively smaller. Search divider.

RAB

Insulate and feed.

A poly nuc would be an improvement, but a wooden one, not much of an improvement if any.
You'd likely be needing an extra nuc eke for feeding - if you get a Payns polynuc, I'd strongly advise blocking off and not using the integral feeder at all -- you can't clean it out without removing the bees to another hive!

As part of the 'insulation' concept, you could reduce the hive volume with a block of insulation board. A super filled with insulation over your feeder should help.

Feeding. 2 pounds of sugar to 1 pint of water is about as strong as you can go. Metric 2:1 doesn't fully dissolve.
Strong syrup is for storing, rather than immediate consumption.
You need more comb drawn to store it in. So a weaker syrup (like metric 1:1) could be a better bet for now.
Consider using an emulsified Thymol tonic in the syrup. (Search the forum for lecithin, and look in the Stickies section). If there is a Nosema problem, it could help. If not, at least it'll prevent the syrup going off!
For later feeding (for fast storing) Ambrosia (and similar special bee-syrups) are excellent. Though more expensive than sugar, they can take it faster and later than sugar - which makes it worthwhile in my eyes. Plus it doesn't go off or ferment - you can store any surplus for next year - there need be no wastage!
Contact feeders have disadvantages - but one advantage is that the bees will take syrup later from a contact-type feeder than any other type.
It would make sense to organise where you can get some (plain white) bakers fondant from, for use later in the winter. Most cake shops are happy to get in a 12.5kg box for a beekeeper, and expect to be charged up to about £15.

Hi. Thanks for all your replys. The bees are now in a poly nuc and seem to bee doing much better. I have treated them and also fed them. Fingers crossed they will make it through the winter.

Latest posts

Back