3000 years old bee yard

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finman

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Industrial apiculture in the Jordan valley during Biblical times with Anatolian honeybees
A research 2010

http://www.pnas.org/content/107/25/11240.full

Tel Reov is one of the largest Iron Age sites in Israel. A city 10 ha in area flourished there between the 12th and 9th centuries Before Common Era (B.C.E.). The apiary includes ≈30 hives (of 100–200 estimated) that were made as unfired clay cylinders. The hives have a small hole on one side for the bees to enter and exit and a lid on the opposite side for the beekeepers to access the honeycomb (Fig. S1 B–D). Three rows of such hives were located in a courtyard that was part of a large architectural complex that was severely destroyed, most probably at the end of the 10th or beginning of the 9th centuries B.C.E. (Fig. S1D) (4–6). In terms of Biblical historiography, this period corresponds with the United Monarchy of David and Solomon and the beginning of the kingdom of northern Israel. The location of such a large apiary in the middle of a dense urban area is puzzling because bees can be very aggressive, especially during routine beekeeping practices or honey harvesting. It is conjectured that this location was dictated by the need to protect the valuable hives

Our discoveries indicate that bees were kept in Israel during Biblical times and that beekeeping was much more sophisticated 3,000 years ago than previously appreciated. The evidence that the honeybees at Tel Reov are not the local subspecies raises the possibility that the influence of human activities on honeybee distribution already was significant in ancient times.

Last edited:
"And I am come down to deliver them out of the hand of the Egyptians, and to bring them up out of that land unto a good land and a large, unto a land flowing with milk and honey; unto the place of the Canaanites, and the Hittites, and the Amorites, and the Perizzites, and the Hivites, and the Jebusites."
Exodus 3:8

I wonder if they had people complaining that there were too many hives for an urban setting and anyway, it is pure recklessness to keep bees in your garden?

Dusty.

P.s. I have it on good authority that a large number of matchsticks were also found at the site.

Heard Dr Saad Masry speak at the honey show about bees in Ancient Egypt.
Honeybee carvings on temples at Karnak and other monuments.
Similar timeline.

"And I am come down to deliver them out of the hand of the Egyptians, and to bring them up out of that land unto a good land and a large, unto a land flowing with milk and honey; unto the place of the Canaanites, and the Hittites, and the Amorites, and the Perizzites, and the Hivites, and the Jebusites."
Exodus 3:8

I wonder if they had people complaining that there were too many hives for an urban setting and anyway, it is pure recklessness to keep bees in your garden?

Dusty.

P.s. I have it on good authority that a large number of matchsticks were also found at the site.

anyone using the bible as a work of reference is clutching at straws, not matches ;)

anyone using the bible as a work of reference is clutching at straws, not matches ;)

To be sure it was the first place the genetic code was worked out..... that must stick in the throat of Creationists!
Multi coloured cows and all that !!!
( Never mentions hybridising them A bees with C bees to produce B bees... loik wot BA did!!!!)

Lets remember later times http://www.tnbeekeepers.org/pubs/History%20of%20Honey%20Bees%20Dec%202000.pdf

Important Events in the 150 years between 1600 and 1851

Honey bees were imported to the New World, England's American Colonies. Beekeepers
began to recognize the worth and quality of honey bees. Developments in beekeeping
methods and management techniques gave the beekeeper more control over his bees, as
well as viewing them INSIDE the hive.

Honey bees, the old "DARK" bee, apis mellifera mellifera, were first brought to America
in 1622, to the Virgin Islands and Guadeloupe in 1688, to Australia in 1839, and to
California in the early 1850's.

In Germany, Nickel Jakob wrote in 1568 that honey bees could raise a queen from eggs
or very young larvae.

In 1586, Luis Mendez of Spain was first to describe a queen as a
female that laid eggs and the mother of all bees.

In 1609, Englishman Charles Butler
showed that drones were male bees; and Richard Remnant in 1637 showed that workers
were females.

It is interesting that nothing was known about the mating of a queen with a
drone for about 150 years until Anton Janscha of Slovenia described the act in 1771.

Prior to 1744, beeswax was confused with light yellow pollen until Hornbostel of
Germany detailed the origin of beeswax.

Nectar was assumed to fall from the sky until
Frenchman, Vaillant, showed in 1717 that nectar is produced in flowers.

It wasn't until 1750 that Irishman Arthur Dobbs reported that the pollen collected by bees is the "male
seed" of the flower which fertilizes the ovum.

It took another 43 years (1793) before
Sprengel clearly established the part played by bees in fertilizing flowers.

Francois Huber, a blind Swiss beekeeper, published his Observations in 1792, which
properly laid the foundations of modern day bee science. I am the proud owner of an
English translation published in 1821. It is absolutely "mind-boggling" what a BLIND
scientist could fathom from the descriptions of bee activity by his sighted helper! Huber
"invented" the "leaf-hive" which consisted of a number of frames hinged together at one
side like the leaves of a book, and the bees built combs in these frames

Many other quasi famous beekeepers created many different types of hives during this
250 years, but all suffered the same problem: the combs were not removable from the
hive except by CUTTING THEM AWAY FROM THE HIVE BODY.

Modern Beekeeping: 1851 to the Present..............read more

Last edited:
Proverbs 25:27

It is not good to eat much honey, nor is it glorious to seek one's own glory

Has anyone read the Beekeepers Bible :biggrinjester:

Heard Dr Saad Masry speak at the honey show about bees in Ancient Egypt.
Honeybee carvings on temples at Karnak and other monuments.
Similar timeline.

I had the pleasure of sitting through his talk at our local assoc recently.

this is one of the pictures he showed us of the hives

mud_tube_hives.jpg

a wall like this could hold hundreds of hives and are still in use today

Lets remember later times http://www.tnbeekeepers.org/pubs/History%20of%20Honey%20Bees%20Dec%202000.pdf

Important Events in the 150 years between 1600 and 1851

Honey bees were imported to the New World, England's American Colonies. Beekeepers
began to recognize the worth and quality of honey bees. Developments in beekeeping
methods and management techniques gave the beekeeper more control over his bees, as
well as viewing them INSIDE the hive.

Honey bees, the old "DARK" bee, apis mellifera mellifera, were first brought to America
in 1622, to the Virgin Islands and Guadeloupe in 1688, to Australia in 1839, and to
California in the early 1850's.

In Germany, Nickel Jakob wrote in 1568 that honey bees could raise a queen from eggs
or very young larvae.

In 1586, Luis Mendez of Spain was first to describe a queen as a
female that laid eggs and the mother of all bees.

In 1609, Englishman Charles Butler
showed that drones were male bees; and Richard Remnant in 1637 showed that workers
were females.

It is interesting that nothing was known about the mating of a queen with a
drone for about 150 years until Anton Janscha of Slovenia described the act in 1771.

Prior to 1744, beeswax was confused with light yellow pollen until Hornbostel of
Germany detailed the origin of beeswax.

Nectar was assumed to fall from the sky until
Frenchman, Vaillant, showed in 1717 that nectar is produced in flowers.

It wasn't until 1750 that Irishman Arthur Dobbs reported that the pollen collected by bees is the "male
seed" of the flower which fertilizes the ovum.

It took another 43 years (1793) before
Sprengel clearly established the part played by bees in fertilizing flowers.

Francois Huber, a blind Swiss beekeeper, published his Observations in 1792, which
properly laid the foundations of modern day bee science. I am the proud owner of an
English translation published in 1821. It is absolutely "mind-boggling" what a BLIND
scientist could fathom from the descriptions of bee activity by his sighted helper! Huber
"invented" the "leaf-hive" which consisted of a number of frames hinged together at one
side like the leaves of a book, and the bees built combs in these frames

Many other quasi famous beekeepers created many different types of hives during this
250 years, but all suffered the same problem: the combs were not removable from the
hive except by CUTTING THEM AWAY FROM THE HIVE BODY.

Modern Beekeeping: 1851 to the Present..............read more

Nov 2008, Finman joins the beekeeping forum and starts educating 2 hive owners:ack2:

Nov 2008, Finman joins the beekeeping forum and starts educating 2 hive owners:ack2:

it happened much earlier and Finman started to educate Great Britain.
Great Britan had serious mating problems in those time.
Every problem was result of poor drone opetarion and killing mites was against English law. Finman for example teached how to bye a 10 pound digital scale and how to weigh oxalic acid fo 5 hives.

1:1 syrup making has bee too difficult even to me. Some have seen better to pour sugar flour into hive because syrup has bee too laborous job.

Yes really stupid I think - Dusty: get your act together I'm sure there must be a better manual for your line of work:D

Dammit!

Why didn't you tell me 40+ years ago?

Would have meant I didn't have to do all that tedious and meticulous biblical criticism, and the more subtle theology etc etc that flows from it.

Dusty

Back