3 Months Evaluation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Salaam fellow beekeepers

I am humbled by all support from you. Thank you

I read the above articles and try to find as much practical information about beekeeping.
Its very limited compared to what is published about beekeeping in other countries.

My bees are modified egyptian carnolians. I have written about the actual habit in the UAE to buy twice a year new bees (its very cheap) and steal all the honey. Bad beekeeping and not sustainable. But it will be a long process to convince people. Bees are only here for honey people think. There is no pollination done by them since we have little or no vegetation and date p[alms is hand pollinized

Apiary such as in Saudi in Taif does not exist here in UAE. Maybe they existed in Yemen pre war. Note that Taif is located in mountains. Very green there with even fields of roses (and wild monkeys in the mountains) Not like the UAE.

There was in Oman an English guy who tried to domesticate the local bee. Apis Florea.

http://archive.aramcoworld.com/issue/198402/the.bedouin.bee.htm

But he had no success.

Note that Oman is also very different. They face Indian Ocean, not arabic gulf as in UAE. And the climate is wetter.

Defenders destined for Africa had a double roof system similar to what the Doc describes.

I wouldn't bother with a mesh floor, (it's more likely to let the heat in) you're trying to keep them insulated against the heat + it might attract the ants / wasps. If you can't get Kingspan try wrapping the sides with tinfoil, shiny side out.
Some sort of well shaded vent towards the roof, (match-sticks come to mind)? Then a 25-40mm gap above the roof with heavily insulated overlapping shade cover. Again if kingspan [phenolic board] isn't available try polystyrene.

Then just ensure they have a plentiful supply of water to evaporate and cross your fingers!

Seems to me that it might be a much simpler matter for Psycad to make contact with one or more of the polyhive manufacturers /vendors and purchase a package unit. No idea if Lyson have a presence in the locality but I recently bought a set up from Abelo in England to trial. For £120 I got floor with omf, inspection slide and entrance restrictor,.two supers, crownboard, various plugs and screened vents and a poly roof. Needed frames and foundation plus queen excluder to complete the set.
Mine are National but other variants and choice of colour finish are available.

Latest posts

Back