2015 bad mating year

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drex

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
All my queens were home grown 2015 queens. All except one have been superseded over winter. Today one hive had a poor laying pattern, but there were eggs, queen not seen, but two sealed queen cells. Looks like they are replacing her again.

All my queens were home grown 2015 queens. All except one have been superseded over winter. Today one hive had a poor laying pattern, but there were eggs, queen not seen, but two sealed queen cells. Looks like they are replacing her again.

Nothing wrong with home grown queens you don't have to buy for success. However I am sorry for your predicament. I found last year good for mating as we had fortnight of blue skies when virgins were ready. I had one drone layer out of 30 odd hives.

Thanks snelgrove, however not a predicament as all hives are queen right, and all except this one, the queens are laying very well. Just got to find them all to mark them again! Not bought in queens since my second year. I firmly believe in " local bees" . Their progeny this year are all good, none are feisty, two lots are running on the comb, but the rest are quiet, and two of these are very prolific. Considering the weather, all but the superceding hive are building up stores nicely. I am not complaining.

I sincerely hope you're getting the results from your hives that you've been hoping for.

I've had similar results, I put it down to poor mating site or late mating, I don't think the grafts were poor or they wouldn't have built to a good cell , im going to try again this year but lost my best queen,

And people still kick up about imports after seeing this?:hairpull:

A commercial opperation with failures such as this wont last. Sorry to hear of your problems but English mating success rate is not worth the hassle.

A commercial opperation with failures such as this wont last. Sorry to hear of your problems but English mating success rate is not worth the hassle.

I'm surprised at this, Welsh mating success certainly is(worth the hassle), and I'm on the west coast with temperatures often a degree or so lower than you get in Lloegr(the lost lands), realistic expectations probably help.

Certainly for me it was a very poor mating year not to mention very hard work to even get cells started, and I hate to say it but I strongly suspect this year will be the same.

PH

So far it seems that the NZ Italians have not fared anything half as as well as the Native Cornish Apis mellifera mellifera

5 of 12 colonies made up from 2015 mated queens of NZ in one apiary were empty... similar results from a North Plymouth apiary not so far away but on the Devon bank of the
Greatgreygreenslimeytamarriverallsetaboutwithemplysecondhomes!

Mytten da

I have both [HOME MATED AND IMPORTS} and the ones I bought are very good I have never had a drone layer. got 5 more coming in about a week :winner1st::winner1st::winner1st:

Certainly for me it was a very poor mating year not to mention very hard work to even get cells started, and I hate to say it but I strongly suspect this year will be the same.

PH

Bound to be if its down to operator error.

;)

2015 was a strange year for me, some queens have mated very well, others failed miserably and have been replaced or combined.

Buckies are as expected doing best and bringing in the goods, some having 2 boxes a week whilst black bees are now reaching a full box and will need supering in the next couple of weeks. I expect strains to shift around towards the end of the year but will see.
S

Latest posts

Back