1st sting!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartinL

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Bollocks!!

So I got too familiar with the bees on my roof today and squashed one with the palm of my hand!

Thought it might be an idea to note the progress to let everyone know how it goes.

First thing, I was building and not beekeeping at the time. Therefore not properly equipped to remove the sting as quickly or nimbly as I would have liked.

Did manage to flick it out with a finger nail but the stinger was not pumping as it usually would have done. carefully descended the ladder sucking on the area of the sting then into the kitchen for the vinegar bottle and antihistamine.

Pulse was racing and I'm feeling hot/flushed, partly due to the embarrassment (due to the inevitable consequence of being right by the hives without PPE), partly due to the increasing pain in my hand as the venom penetrates.

So vinegar onto the stung palm and fast acting antihistamine to chew, (YEUCH!). There is a red pin prick with whitening area around it and it still stings. Wrist is starting to itch. I Dry my hands and dig out the anthisan cream.

I'm not going back out on the roof just yet, not that daft, will let them calm down a bit first. Put the kettle on, reach for the chocolate biscuits. wrist still itchy spreading up to the veiny bit on the inside of my arm. Pain has gone and there's a feint swelling / reddening to the palm and inside of my wrist. feeling a bit sweaty, (the run for medication and being inside still wearing outdoor clothes).

Now 15 mins since the sting, Oh I've forgotten about the kettle!

It took 25 years for my stings to stop swelling and itching for 24 hours. Then suddenly.....one day.....reaction has all but stopped!
Never give up!
E

you've managed all this time without a sting that's well impressive.

the sting sounds like it was nothing to worry about. give it a little while and it will go off. think of it like a mozzie bite.

1% hydrocortisone cream works well..

I averaged 50 stings a year year 1-4, 74 last year and 28 so far this year..(Q-)

Immunity to swelling gained with some pain...

Never mind.. a little pain is nothing when you're a man.. just as well men don't give birth :icon_204-2:

Long cup of tea.....

you've managed all this time without a sting that's well impressive.

Sorry, 1st sting of the year!!!

so, the swelling spread through to to back of my hand, just the web between thumb & fore-finger, hand all red wrist the same. Took a second antihistamine (8mg actrivastine) @ 3hours later.

Have since administered Lamb Madrass along with @ 500ml of Chateau Fonguillon, bordeaux (2012).
Can't see much swelling in the dim light will update tomorrow!

carefully descended the ladder sucking on the area of the sting then into the kitchen for the vinegar bottle and antihistamine.

The folk remedy is bicarb for bee stings, vinegar for wasp stings.

The folk remedy is bicarb for bee stings, vinegar for wasp stings.

Do topical treatments ever work? (apart from deep heat etc causing irritation and a sensation of heat). The venom has been injected not left on the surface but I suppose auto suggestion may help.
A hot compress is said to accelerate the breakdown of the venom and I have found it beneficial in the past, as hot as you can stand :)

Last edited:
As far as allergy goes, the first exposure to an allergen wont give an allergic response but sensitises you. The second time onwards is where the fun starts.

I must be one lucky SOAB as bee stings do nothing to me

Latest posts

Back