When to stop feeding

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonnyl

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hello, nuc collected 01/07 and all doing well. I collected a full deep brood box from the supplier with six frames of bees the rest drawn comb. However as said they were on deep brood frames and I'm a 14x12 box. Around nine frames of his, six brood and three drawn and two of mine with foundation only with dummy and bees busy, healthy and fine. Boiling with bees now. Lots of empty drawn comb under his frames but no issues there. Trying to replace these frames with my frames gradually and now have around six frames of deep to exchange after taking out two the other day (they were drawn but empty as they were on the hive walls). BIAS on around four frames with pollen and honey. So eleven frames in the box, two fresh foundation 14x12's, two 14x12's partly drawn and the rest the old frames, essentially the brood frames. So plenty room for expansion. However, the question is I started feeding them ambrosia on Tuesday, 7 litres gone by this morning and I'm concerned that in storing the feed they may prevent the queen from laying at this important time. All thoughts appreciated?

I don't think they will expand much now, they will be winding down so do not need much empty space at all. I would be surprised if they draw much if any new comb now. Four BIAS + bees is not really a large colony. You don't seem to have much in the way of stores at all. Suggest you feed heavy syrup by the gallon until either they stop taking it or the temperatures drop further. Feed fondant after that. I think you must wait until spring to sort out the two frame sizes.

Those were my thoughts and i intend to give them the full 12.5 kilos of ambrosia and then the same with candy. Just wanted to check it was the right thing to do at this time. Insecurity of a new beek. Thanks.

It is a bit of suck it and see! You don't have to keep feeding just because you have started so give them some now and some more at the end of September if the hive feels lighter than really heavy!
It is difficult when you start but it really does become easier with a couple of years of experience. If you under feed then get some fondant ready for Christmas onwards just in case. So much depends on the weather.
E

I weigh - now - end Sept end Oct end Dec End Jan..

Once you know usage, you know when to feed. My target weight for end Oct going into winter is c 40Kgs+/-2Kgs (roughly). Currently all bar 1 are over so I have no need to worry..at present.

Weighing takes all guesswork out and makes feeding simpler - you know what weight you need to achieve..and how much sugar to buy and which colonies to look out for.

Others heft and guess. Each to their own.

Always appreciate your advice, thank you.

This year i have had to feed some a lot earlier than previously.. i do weigh the hives but not yet.. all i do is heft them and i have a good idea if they are too light or a tad heavy..by early November i will be weighing them and if they average around 105lb per hive i will be happy..

This year i have had to feed some a lot earlier than previously.. i do weigh the hives but not yet.. all i do is heft them and i have a good idea if they are too light or a tad heavy..by early November i will be weighing them and if they average around 105lb per hive i will be happy..

Worth remembering that bees in poly hives require far fewer stores than those using uninsulated wooden ones.
My usual spring problem is the removal of store clogged brood frames to give HM some laying space.

Worth remembering that bees in poly hives require far fewer stores than those using uninsulated wooden ones.
My usual spring problem is the removal of store clogged brood frames to give HM some laying space.

The weight's i have recorded for last year include poly and a cosy covered colony .. the cosy covered colony used a lot less stores through winter than the poly hives but that was the F1 KB Queen from your test frame.. ;) .. all done ok this year either way.

Once you know usage, you know when to feed. My target weight for end Oct going into winter is c 40Kgs+/-2Kgs (roughly). Currently all bar 1 are over so I have no need to worry..at present.

Weighing takes all guesswork out and makes feeding simpler - you know what weight you need to achieve..and how much sugar to buy and which colonies to look out for.

qq How do you weigh ? ... I read on here

'well if you weigh each side you just need to add the two figure together.

I got a set of cheap luggage scales and put a screw in each side of hive. Quick lift on each side and add the two figures together.'

is this what you do ?

qq How do you weigh ? ... I read on here

'well if you weigh each side you just need to add the two figure together.

I got a set of cheap luggage scales and put a screw in each side of hive. Quick lift on each side and add the two figures together.'

is this what you do ?

I have a loop of rope attached to cheap digital luggage scales. Remove hive roof (gets in way).
Loop round front floor .Lift 1 to 2cms (NOT much more, it will give the incorrect weight) . Weight till the scales give a steady reading (mine beep). Record weight.
Ditto rear.
Add two together.
Note: IF you lift the floor much more than 2cms off the ground, you will record a lower weight than true weight due to weight being transferred to the end which you are not lifting.. (Simple physics).

I read some good advice recently on this very forum. If you can lift one end with three fingers = heavy, two fingers = OK, 1 finger = too light, feed quickly! Seems to be a simple and quick way of checking stores.

I read some good advice recently on this very forum. If you can lift one end with three fingers = heavy, two fingers = OK, 1 finger = too light, feed quickly! Seems to be a simple and quick way of checking stores.

Depends on your fingers..and where you lift Some people have very weak fingers, I cannot lift any hive with my fingers but that is meaningless.

If you measure , you can control. Opinions vary by individual.

But each to their own.

I have a loop of rope attached to cheap digital luggage scales. Remove hive roof (gets in way).
Loop round front floor .Lift 1 to 2cms (NOT much more, it will give the incorrect weight) . Weight till the scales give a steady reading (mine beep). Record weight.
Ditto rear.
Add two together.
Note: IF you lift the floor much more than 2cms off the ground, you will record a lower weight than true weight due to weight being transferred to the end which you are not lifting.. (Simple physics).

nice one ... appreciate it

Latest posts

Back