Toxic "honey" on US market

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The sad thing is that its probably on our supermarket shelves to.

This seems silly to me... honey isn't really popular here, doesn't bring a premium price and we have a huge honey industry that more then fills the market needs... The only country I have seen honey come from other then right here in the US is Brazil, and that is because they can produce organic honey and get the USDA to certify it as such.

u.S. honey consumption is 576 grams per person per year (slightly higher than the UK) and 54% of all honey consumed in the U.S. is imported.
Germans consume ~1kg

source Apinews.com

u.S. honey consumption is 576 grams per person per year (slightly higher than the UK) and 54% of all honey consumed in the U.S. is imported.
Germans consume ~1kg

source Apinews.com
They are including manufacture of honey BBQ sauce and honey nut cherrios as well as cosmetics in these numbers...

Also the articles states that while import made up 252 million pounds, US bee keepers were sitting on 45.3 million pounds that went unsold.

Keep in mind that 576 grams is a minuscule amount per year, Like stated above, I also eat more than that in a week.

Latest posts

Back