Heather honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David1976

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
For a small scale beekeeper like myself (6 hives) would one of these honey looseners suffice for the removal of heather honey?

If so, would I use the loosener and spin the frames, would I then need to press the resulting spun mixture or should I be looking at another way of doing it?

I need the heather honey to blend with OSR so cant only use cut comb.

Attachments

• PICT0077-Large.jpg
    PICT0077-Large.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 29
That should do the trick. It's better if you spin the frames out tangentially as higher G forces and higher percentage spins out.
I'm a cut comb and press the rest out myself..

Works fine - although you will have a right arm like a public schoolboy's after a session with matron's new Grattan catalogue at the end of it.
did about thirty supers with it last season IIRC. Luckily, I'm ambidextrous so I just followed the oft related advice of changing hands every ten strokes :D
Buy it from Abelo - substantially cheaper than the other suppliers

They are out of stock of the hand one but seem to have a nice more expensive heather honey loosened....

Heather-Loosener.jpg

Works fine - although you will have a right arm like a public schoolboy's after a session with matron's new Grattan catalogue at the end of it.
did about thirty supers with it last season IIRC. Luckily, I'm ambidextrous so I just followed the oft related advice of changing hands every ten strokes :D

Cheers for the advice, I ordered one from them today (honey loosener not matron's new grattan catalogue)!:D

I will be interested in hearing how you get on with this. I get a little heather honey but not enough to warrant spending large sums on expensive kit and this looks ideal.

The problem with that is that it can lead to bilateral RSI (repetitive strain injury) such as 'tennis' elbow, or in severe cases short-sightedness :nono:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back