'wonky brood nest'

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freethorpe bees

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Two - one fiesty, one lovely. ;0)
Polite answers only please...

My HM seems to be laying in the eight frames to one side and not in the middle as per 'normal' (whatever that is!). The other three frames are filled with stores. Is this something which often happens or should I be concerned about it?

I did move one frame of stores over from one side of the brood chamber to the other, so the last frame of brood is not right at the edge.

FB:confused:

Freethorpe

That's quite normal - I find mine always concentrate making brood in the 'sunnyside' end of the bb.
It maybe an idea to score the inward face of the frame you moved?

richard

Thanks Richard, that's set my mind at rest. That side is the 'sunny side', they're so clever! I did score a bit of the frame as I wanted to check it wasn't old ivy honey. Would you do that so they move the stores upstairs, thus creating more space for HM?

That's true, but being a wet behind the ears newbie I did worry a bit when they didn't do what the books and my courses told me they should! I think my girls are trying to test me!

Oh yes, I remember! Thank you, now heading towards the bookshelf!

Free, it's my thinking that scoring the face of a sealed frame 'reminds' them what's inside - so (if they feel so inclined) they'll move the contents to make room for expanding the brood.

richard

Last year one side of the EPS insulation slipped on one of the Dartingtons. It resulted in me having to let her upstairs to lay brood almost right from the 'off'

It took ages to clear as a lot of the stores was solid.

If you want them to conform to your requirements, first teach them to read your books!

Regards, RAB

drstitson, as frees brood is hard up against one end, I wouldn't consider this to be a case of 'working the brood' - he's still maintaining the integrity of the brood cluster.

Latest posts

Back