Winter

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave /Oscroft

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
9 at present
They've just said on the weather forecast its going to be the coldest winter ever!!!!!!!

Dave W

They were broadcasting the possibility of severe winter snow in Nov and Dec on the local radio (Pirate FM) for Cornwall this morning as well.

Sounds a bit like the Daily Fail - So hot we have desert conditions, so wet we have biblical floods or colder than the north pole. Nothing in between these extremes of course!

Who's they ? could it be The elusive unknown invisible scaremongering entity of nobodies that the media uses as an excuse

A long cold Winter might be for the good....a few ice floes in the channel would make sun loving Asian Hornets think again!

http://metofficenews.wordpress.com/2013/10/12/winter-forecasting-responding-to-the-headlines/

UK Met Office hits back at winter tabloid nonsense, Madden etc.
Quote:
Winter Forecasting – Responding to the headlines

Once again it is the season for speculation and big headlines regarding what the weather will do over the winter period. The front page of the Daily Express today claims: ‘Worst winter for decades: Record-breaking snow predicted for November’.

We saw similar headlines last year and instead winter 12/13 ended up being only the 43rd coldest on record with an average temperature of 3.3C and flooding until the turn of the year.

What the Daily Express has failed to explain to it’s readers is that there is absolutely no certainty about what weather the UK will see over the winter period. The science simply does not exist to make detailed, long-term forecasts for temperature and snowfall even for the end of November, let alone for the winter period, which does not officially start until 1 December.

While we have seen a return to more normal, cooler temperatures for this time of year, this is no indication of what we can expect over the next four months with regards to temperatures and when we might see snow. It is far too early to tell.

Ultimately, we’re heading into winter and it is perfectly possible that we will see the whole range of weather that we get in winter at some point over the coming months, including snow and freezing temperatures, but also heavy rain, windy weather and mild conditions too.

Our five day forecasts and warnings will provide you with the best possible guidance on any periods of cold weather, frost or the likelihood of snow, giving detailed local information across the UK to help you make the most of the weather over the coming months.

I predict we will have the shortest day on Sat 21 December, all my druid bones tell me so !

Who's they ? could it be The elusive unknown invisible scaremongering entity of nobodies that the media uses as an excuse

"Information we have received indicates that..........."

Piers Corbyn, over at http://www.weatheraction.com is forecasting "DANGEROUS Major events Brit+Ire+Eu and USA FORECAST LATER THIS MONTH". The problem is that to find out exactly what he means by that, you have to purchase his forecasts - which, in view of the danger, he's offering at half price in order to help people get prepared.

Scaremongering ? Maybe, but the bloke has a history of having an uncanny knack of predicting these sorts of long-range events - much better than the Met Office does.

It'll be interesting to see if he's right.

LJ

snake oil and mumbo jumbo by the sounds of it (so no different to the met office forecast) If he pumps out enough of these forecasts he's bound to get some right. And if he was invariably right I'm sure the met office would pay him a packet to work for them

Piers Corbyn, over at http://www.weatheraction.com is forecasting "DANGEROUS Major events Brit+Ire+Eu and USA FORECAST LATER THIS MONTH". The problem is that to find out exactly what he means by that, you have to purchase his forecasts - which, in view of the danger, he's offering at half price in order to help people get prepared.

Scaremongering ? Maybe, but the bloke has a history of having an uncanny knack of predicting these sorts of long-range events - much better than the Met Office does.

It'll be interesting to see if he's right.

LJ

Severe storm warning for Monday 28th:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24654390

Oh ye, of little faith ....

Hmm, let me think, November time, Britain, what do we usually get - high winds & bad weather. When I first went away to sea it was a matter of volunteering for three month stints away then back to your home station, the older most experienced got as many trips away as they wanted and the best patrol seasons - the newbies had to scrape for the rest., but guess what times of the year always seemed to have spare slots?. not much of a bloody ground shaking prediction really is it.
'Winter's coming, expect sh!t weather' - give the man a knighthood!

About the only weather forecast I believe is the one I get when I open the curtains in the morning ... and even that is only good for about an hour usually !!

British weather - being an island at the tip of a large continental mass and influenced on one side by arctic conditions and the other side by the Gulf stream makes it very difficult for anything other than very short term weather forecasting. Particularly so when the weather is mainly dictated by cold fronts which are notoriously unpredictable in their behaviour.

Summer high pressure is pretty stable so relatively easy to see what's happening but get into Autumn with cold fronts, occlusions, the atlantic low pressure systems and it's anybody's guess !!

I mean ... just look at this :

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/surface_pressure.html

I reckon the British bees saw this long late summer coming.

READING BETWEEN THE LINES on the forum, with the innocence of my inexperience, people seem to be struggling to keep hive weights up because the bees are brooding really late. That may be "bad blood" as someone said, or they may be calling for a mild winter. Shoot me down, someone?

Bang I'm dead!

Let me recast this without starting a new thread. We see masses of people (eg http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=373619&postcount=1 ) saying they have masses of bees and even drones. After this storm, the warm weather is meant to continue so we're going to be effectively well into November. Does this mean anything for next year? Does a lot of bees now (assuming they stay fed) translate to strong colonies next year? Or are these doomed summer bees having a life extension? It seems like it must be the former, no, so is what's happening now pretty amazing or am I being naive and hopeful?

Latest posts

Back