Winter Feed

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steveuk

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi All
This is my first hive and i started in May and this will be my first winter.
I would be oblidged if you could advise me in how much fondant feed i would need to get through the winter period.

I have one National Hive.

Hope this makes sense and appriciate again good advice i all ways get from the site
Regards
Steve

I didn't use any fondant at all at any time last winter.

It may depend on how you intend to feed in the autumn (fondant or sugar syrup), how you intend to stock them with stores (single brood box or with a super of stores above), whether you get them completely filled up by the end of the season (ready for winter), the length and severity of the winter, you plans for spring expansion of the colony and to a lesser degree the size of the colony.

I have no intention of feeding fondant this winter either, but that may need to change - who knows?

Tell us a little more of your plans.

RAB

Hi All
This is my first hive and i started in May and this will be my first winter.
I would be oblidged if you could advise me in how much fondant feed i would need to get through the winter period.

I have one National Hive.

Hope this makes sense and appriciate again good advice i all ways get from the site
Regards
Steve

Why not feed Sugar syrup around 15kg per hive for a winter feed? I have around 12Kg of fondant as an emergincy feed for the hives during the winter if anything goes wrong

Latest posts

Back