when to stop feeding

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Advice please.

One of my hives has been quite active and taking in pollen for a few weeks and I did a first inspection today. Bees cover 6/7 frames, eggs/brood (capped and uncapped) . Other frames pollen and honey stores. They are bringing in loads of pollen .
They have been fed on fondant. When should I stop feeding them?

Now.

Looks like you're doing well - and should add a Super (over a Queen excluder)

-
Look into hive what you see there.

If you have one brood box, bees should have 2 full frame of food for bad week.

If the hive has not capped honey, feed to it 5 kg sugar as syrup 60%.

If they have here and there alltogether 2 frames of food, dont feed.

it is 2000 km to you. Difficult to see that long.

It sounds as though you can stop feeding now- but be prepared to start again if required. In really bad weather, you might be feeding in June!

The only way is to assess what stores they have,as Finman says. His figures are based on a full brood box, and it sounds as if yours is no more than half full at most, so a bit of leeway there- but when they are raising brood they can get through stores fast, so do keep monitoring.

You have to acheive a balance at this time of year- making sure they don't go hungry, but at the same time making sure the brood box is not so full of stores that the queen has nowhere to lay.

I have to disagree with Richardbees- to early for a super. If the bees are only covering 6 frames there is no need- they have lots of space- and by adding all that extra space for them to heat, you will a) make them work harder and use up more stores to heat the hive, and b) risk losing brood if they cant heat it enough.

As Finman, but I would add that you need to consider what you do at inspections. One priority question should be: Do they have sufficient stores until the next inspection?

If not then there are two options - feed or monitor more closely. Monitoring more closely may be simply noting the weather conditions are favourable for foraging and forage is abundant, or it may need more thought.

With bees only covering that few frames, I would think it inadvisable to add a super at this present time. There are far better alternatives than supplying extra space to keep warm while the weather is still unsettled.

As you know, weather can change and next week may be sunny, cold or rainy, windy...

It is better that the hive has at least one week food store.

In spring, when box is full of brood, a food consumption is really big compared to winter.
it is 3-4 kg in a week.

If the hive has too much food, it is easy take away for a while.
Or if one box is full, you put another box under the brood box and you move food frames to the lower box.

But dont arrange too much the hive in spring. let the bees do their job.
They know what they do.
At least they know better that 3 hive owner.

thanks everyone. I know its too early for a super yet. Just that not sure about spring feeding.
I have been unlucky with my bees since i started 4 years ago - lost my only hive each of the bad winters 2010 and 2011. They were going really well last year until the wet weather. I was also lucky enough to be given a nuc last summer so now have 2 hives .
Lets hope I can get some honey this year.

Latest posts

Back