When should I stop feeding my bees?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fb2022

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi,
I've been feeding my bees since september using the autumn sugar syrup ratios, and I was wondering for how long should I keep doing this/what is a good indicator to stop feeding them such as hefting?
We live in Northants, so not too cold.
Many Thanks

What feeders have you used. How much have they taken so far? You have been feeding for at least 6 weeks. If I need to feed mine it is usually over and done with in a week or two. It is now starting to get too cold for them to take syrup. If they heft as in nailed down, then they have enough. You can always use fondant in the new year if they start to feel too light. Feeding, as in most things with bees is a balancing act. Giving them enough but still having some space for queen to lay those precious winter bees.

Hi,
I've been feeding my bees since september using the autumn sugar syrup ratios, and I was wondering for how long should I keep doing this/what is a good indicator to stop feeding them such as hefting?
Many Thanks

Really too late for syrup now. Sept to Nov is an awfully long time to keep feeding.
Cazza

What feeders have you used. How much have they taken so far? You have been feeding for at least 6 weeks. If I need to feed mine it is usually over and done with in a week or two. It is now starting to get too cold for them to take syrup. If they heft as in nailed down, then they have enough. You can always use fondant in the new year if they start to feel too light. Feeding, as in most things with bees is a balancing act. Giving them enough but still having some space for queen to lay those precious winter bees.
Any reason not to feed fondant now, as if a weak hive it may conserve honey stocks for later on in winter?

Why? Honey is their natural food. If they start to get light, then feed fondant at that time. If fed properly before winter close up they should not need extra. Remember that when they really start brooding the queen is going to need space to lay. This is the danger time for starvation though as when raising brood, they really start to go through the stores.

Aim to make sure a colony has enough food stored to last until the next inspection which in late Spring will be a week, but in autumn it could be three or four months.

An overwintering full sized colony is likely to need about 40-45 lbs, which is about a National brood box. Any more and you're expecting the colony to heat more space than they need, and it's a waste of sugar.

What sort of hive are your bees in (National, Langstroth; cedar. poly etc) and what's the configuration (supers etc)?

Aim to make sure a colony has enough food stored to last until the next inspection which in late Spring will be a week, but in autumn it could be three or four months.

An overwintering full sized colony is likely to need about 40-45 lbs, which is about a National brood box. Any more and you're expecting the colony to heat more space than they need, and it's a waste of sugar.

What sort of hive are your bees in (National, Langstroth; cedar. poly etc) and what's the configuration (supers etc)?
Cedar national, double brood. They're looking good at the moment, will probably need fondant after Xmas

Cedar national, double brood. They're looking good at the moment, will probably need fondant after Xmas

If they are on double brood I'd check the stores over Christmas, I doubt they'll need feeding if they were strong going in.

How do you do that, it is -4 here tonight and probably not much warmer until Spring.

Only need to check the stores by weighing or hefting the hive.

Warming up over the next few days in most places, maybe not at your place though, the op is a bit further south than you though, Steve.

Only need to check the stores by weighing or hefting the hive.

Warming up over the next few days in most places, maybe not at your place though, the op is a bit further south than you though, Steve.
That is what i do.. ;) , but i was wondering how the person who mentioned it checks there hive stores this time of the year .
I would not open mine up now, and i do not think i will till the back end of April weather depending, it is baltic here at the moment by the way, white fields everywhere, i was putting mole traps in today around 2pm any time before or after that and the ground is like concrete.

How do you do that, it is -4 here tonight and probably not much warmer until Spring.

If you are really worried you can crack them open for a few moments and look down the seams.

If you are really worried you can crack them open for a few moments and look down the seams.

Just another reason to favour clear crownboards. (with a sheet of Kingspan in close contact on top which minimises condensation before the chorus starts)

Just another reason to favour clear crownboards. (with a sheet of Kingspan in close contact on top which minimises condensation before the chorus starts)

They are a good idea, I may get a few next year.

They are a good idea, I may get a few next year.

A temporary solution is clear polythene sheeting under the existing crownboard,,,(I use it for nucs)

Latest posts

Back