What are they playing at?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thorn

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
It varies.
On 24 May my bee buddy and I inspected the one hive then sited in my garden. We found the queen, eggs, and two unsealed queen cups, which we took down.
On 31 May, BB inspected alone. He couldn't find the queen, nor any eggs, but there were two sealed and some unsealed queen cups. He felt we must have missed a swarm. He therefore split the colony, leaving one sealed cup in the original hive, and moving the other, along with brood and nurse bees, to the other, a couple of feet to the side.
Last Saturday, while I was 100 miles from home, my wife called to say there were a lot of bees in the air and around the front of the hives. She didn't know which hive they were from, but was thought they all went back inside after a short while. The same thing apparently happened on Sunday, while I was at a swarm control demonstration. I assumed that this was because a queen had hatched and was off on a mating flight
On Monday I got a call at work to say that there was a swarm that had settled in a neighbour's tree. I was 18 miles away and by the time I got home they'd disappeared, leaving just a few returning scouts around the tree.
On Tuesday I got home and my neighbour told me there was a swarm in her hedge. I collected them - a good sized cluster, probably too many to be a cast, and put them in a nuc near the other hives.
Yesterday I got home to be told by my neighbour that a swarm had clustered in a tree in her garden, but had by then disappeared. The new nuc was still occupied, and both the other hives had bees flying.
So, theoretically I lost the queen in mid-May, and the two new queens should only just have hatched, and possibly gone off on mating flights. The alternative is that BB missed the original queen and eggs on 31 May, but he's a lot better at spotting eggs than me, and looked hard.
But why so many swarms? Are they popping out to see what's around, and returning each time, as I know happened on Saturday (though I don't know if they clustered on that occasion)? At least one of the hives was queenless when it was set up on 31 May, so only one should be swarming, surely. Any thoughts and advice?

Similar experience here too. Can't understand what is happening when swarm clusters are in shrubs above hives but clipped queens are nowhere to be seen and yet the clusters still bugger off so it seems. This year has been quite odd at times.

similar for me, found uncaped queen cells took down prepared for AS, then got nervous took down un capped q cells at AS. decided to let them sort it and then one of those to swarmed big. no idea whats going on just waiting for inspection and some more kit

But why so many swarms?

These are 'second swarms' or 'casts'. Have a read about them in your bee book. They come out about a week after the leaving of a prime swarm containing your original queen.

And it is an idea to try a find out what the following are: queen cell cups and queen cells.

On 24 May my bee buddy and I inspected the one hive then sited in my garden. We found the queen, eggs, and two unsealed queen cups, which we took down.
On 31 May, BB inspected alone. He couldn't find the queen, nor any eggs, but there were two sealed and some unsealed queen cups.

Proof, were it needed, that pulling down QCs does not prevent swarming. I've been having the same problem this year, even with judicious artificial swarming. It's been a right pain in the arse this year and makes me worry what will happen when I go on holiday next week...

I have to say that this year I tried demaree swarm prevention.....it has seemed to work so far, I recommend it if you are thinking of a holiday, do it five days before you leave with the final inspection for queen cells just before you go....
E

I have to say that this year I tried demaree swarm prevention.....it has seemed to work so far, I recommend it if you are thinking of a holiday, do it five days before you leave with the final inspection for queen cells just before you go....
E

Or don't go. On the other hand go for a longer time than ever and let the pesky bees get on with it.

Latest posts

Back