Weather and inspections

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colintinto

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi All,

Now that swarming season is upon us (up here at least) I'm attempting to inspect on a weekly basis. I was last in at the bees on Saturday, which was 9 days after my last look (not ideal I know) but it's the weather that holds me back. Even then, Saturday wasn't the best of days, bit damp, maybe 15-16 degrees and breezy, and my largest colony didn't like me poking about in my still amateurish fashion.

One of the other colonies worried me in the fact that there were no bees coming or going at all, but they were all in there, just hiding, which didn't make the inspection any easier.

So what's a beekeeper to do, when the 7 days is up and the weather is still nasty?

I've seen pictures of beekeepers tipping up the BB for a quick look - is it sufficient to check for Queen Cells at the bottom of the frames?

Hi Colintinto,

I try to do it on a risk basis - if it's a big colony that I suspect may swarm then I try to stick to 7 days almost irrespective of the weather (unless it's pouring down).
If it is a less "swarmy" colony then I'll leave it a few extra days until the weather is better.
Not very scientific I know, but it works OK for me.

Checking the bottom of the BB (or super if you are on brood and a half) is a good stop gap but by no means infallible.

Regards
Andy.

Back