Weak hive - what to do?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

russ_01

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi

I picked up a hive off a local beekeeper who is scaling down however when I went through the hive today one of them is very weak (it was a split from either late last season or early this year). The hive has 4 frames of capped eggs but in small groups not side to side/top to bottom, there was also some fresh eggs but not alot. How do I build up the numbers in this hive? I added some 1:1 syrup in today.

I don't have access to a frame of eggs from another strong hive.

Being in NE Scotland it has been a long painful winter and spring has finally just started, there is some OSR about to burst I suspect this may aid them?

Thanks

Russ a few photos are worth a thousand words. I'm afraid "capped eggs" doesn't make much sense. Did you mean sealed brood?

Sorry yeah I should have said, sealed brood (workers only), there was no drone brood. I don't have any pictures as today was more about seeing what I've got and then work out what I needed to do...

All the frames in the hive are fully drawn with centre 3 frames where the colony is located then working out the way some honey stores and limited pollen.

Queen is either 2017 or 2018, she is not marked which is one of my next tasks.

Sorry yeah I should have said, sealed brood (workers only),

No prob's makes sense. I don;t think you have any problems. 4 frames of sealed eggs (sorry :)) /brood this year is not too bad. Suggest you let them get on with it.

How long should I go on feeding 1:1 syrup?

The OSR is about to burst into bloom in next 7-10 days but at same time don't want to keep feeding them so they become reliant upon the syrup.

Hi

I picked up a hive off a local beekeeper who is scaling down however when I went through the hive today one of them is very weak (it was a split from either late last season or early this year). The hive has 4 frames of capped eggs but in small groups not side to side/top to bottom, there was also some fresh eggs but not alot. How do I build up the numbers in this hive? I added some 1:1 syrup in today.

I don't have access to a frame of eggs from another strong hive.

Being in NE Scotland it has been a long painful winter and spring has finally just started, there is some OSR about to burst I suspect this may aid them?

Thanks
One of them is very weak.. i thought you only picked one up..?

Back