wax moth

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onymee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
After doing lots of reading about wax moths and how terrible the larvae is, I was suddenly struck with a thought. I keep a bearded dragon (Moriarty) and he loves to eat wax moth larvae. I pay over £2 for a little tub with about 10 in. So if you find 'em........send 'em to Moriarty as he's set himself up as 'Acme Wax moth eradication lizard inc'. He promises to slaughter them humanely, leave no mess, is organic and environmentally friendly. He says he'd normally charge a fiver for each lot he 'eradicates', but for Beekeeping forum members only, he will offer his services completely free of charge. WOW....BARGAIN.....L@@K......as they say on ebay.
View attachment 7773

He looks impressive.

Fortunately I don't have any wax moth larvae available. It is the wrong time of year to find them.

Beekeepers will begin to notice them when the warmer weather gets here and regular hive inspections begin. Have you thought of contacting your local beekeeping association?

Where are the ones you have been buying produced? I am hoping they will be taking serious steps to avoid them escaping. Us beeks don't want more of them about thanks.

He looks impressive.

Fortunately I don't have any wax moth larvae available. It is the wrong time of year to find them.

Beekeepers will begin to notice them when the warmer weather gets here and regular hive inspections begin. Have you thought of contacting your local beekeeping association?

Where are the ones you have been buying produced? I am hoping they will be taking serious steps to avoid them escaping. Us beeks don't want more of them about thanks.
When they get put into Moriarty's vivarium <menacing voice> there is no escape <menacing voice> bwaaaaahahahahahaha. I think there are people who breed the ones I buy. No idea where this is done though.

. I think there are people who breed the ones I buy. No idea where this is done though.

Your average wax moth farmer will also breed wax moth larvae, aka wax worms, for people to feed to garden birds. But rather than these larvae ending up in the stomach of birds, plenty pupate into adult moths and end up in people's beehives. Great.

Your average wax moth farmer will also breed wax moth larvae, aka wax worms, for people to feed to garden birds. But rather than these larvae ending up in the stomach of birds, plenty pupate into adult moths and end up in people's beehives. Great.

perhaps the answer might be for beekeepers to also keep a bearded dragon lol
Put em into an empty hive on a search and destroy (eat) mission.

I know a friendly robin who loves wax moth larvae, the trouble is finding enough, but if well fed, has to an after lunch snooze.

wax moth larvae are good winter feed for wild birds as they are very high in calories.

I'm a beekeeper who also has a bearded dragon. My poor dragon, Nigel, is now about 10 years old so is far too old to go searching around hives for moth larvae, bless him :)

I don't own a bearded dragon but I do own a chameleon wonder if he could eat them, I've seen them for sale in the shop and had a few on the just under the lip of a hive the other day that I dispatched.

The only bearded dragon that i've seen recently was on the news complaining about the Julie Burchill article in the Observer last weekend.

Latest posts

Back