Wasps

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hurrah.:hurray: Go Millet.

Cazza

Alas a different perspective when it comes to rats and moles......
Sorry Millet couldn't resist....it may save you from going soft over a nuisance insect.
:)
moles%202015%20009_zpsqekybfyi.jpg

Alas a different perspective when it comes to rats and moles......
Sorry Millet couldn't resist....it may save you from going soft over a nuisance insect.
:)

They cause a considerable amount of damage a hell of a lot of monies worth through out the country, wasps do not as far as i am concerned, don't get me wrong if i did have a wasp problem and i was regularly getting stung i would sort the problem out but near my hive they cause no harm what so ever. ;)

What's your version of a wasp modified entrance? I built one last year and am going to experiment further. Mine is a kind of deep underfloor entrance using a deep lang brood box modified to be a floor. I'll try and get pictures if I cycle it out for a clean up this season.

BJD

Its the tunnel entrance Joseph, i have stuck a picture up on numerous occasions, they are very effective.

Yep -brilliant, should have patent them and made a fortune

Victor Meldrew had something very similar.

I can see this becoming a pub quiz poser in time to come, (like who invented the light bulb)?

Who will be Swann???

I'm banking on having a nice big asian hornet nest in my orchard to protect all my hives from all the wasps and other asian hornet.

Be careful what you wish for!!

Be careful what you wish for!!

I'd quite like some Beewolves (solitary wasps that prey on bees). They are fascinating wasps and whilst once rare are now spreading throughout the UK. They have now made it up to Yorkshire, but not as far north as me (yet!). I'd happily sacrifice a few of my bees to see them around.....but not too many. :)

I'd quite like some Beewolves (solitary wasps that prey on bees). They are fascinating wasps and whilst once rare are now spreading throughout the UK. They have now made it up to Yorkshire, but not as far north as me (yet!). I'd happily sacrifice a few of my bees to see them around.....but not too many. :)

I had around 12 of them in a sandy flower bed last year around 30yrds from my hive, they never caused any problems, my hive is a stone throw from Alnwick so a bit further North than you think. ;)

IMG_0312_zpsfws6p772.jpg

IMG_0322_zpsvrboflvk.jpg

I had around 12 of them in a sandy flower bed last year around 30yrds from my hive, they never caused any problems, my hive is a stone throw from Alnwick so a bit further North than you think. ;)

You sure they are Beewolves? Their abdomen is too waisted. Lots of different tunnel making solitary wasp species around.

Hard to be certain from your photograph but the pointed waist suggests they might be Mason Wasps that will dig nests in sandy banks. The banding changes depending on exact species.
Ancistrocerus1.jpg

Hard to be certain from your photograph but the pointed waist suggests they might be Mason Wasps that will dig nests in sandy banks. The banding changes depending on exact species.

The pointed waist is ok but the head is all wrong.

1280px-Honey_bee_portrait_-412x341.jpg

Latest posts

Back