Want to be an SBI? Apply now!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itma

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
There are 7 vacancies for Seasonal Bee Inspectors in different parts of the country.

Locations --
Wales to cover the following areas: North Powys / East Gwynedd.
Southern Region to cover the following area: Northamptonshire
Western Region to cover the following area: Gloucestershire.
Eastern Region to cover the following areas: East Norfolk / East Suffolk.
North Eastern Region to cover the following areas: North / East Yorkshire.
South Eastern Region to cover the following area: Surrey.
South Western Region to cover the following areas: Devon / Somerset.

Closing date for applications is April 29th.

Job Description, requirements, etc -> http://www.fera.defra.gov.uk/careers/documents/seasonalBeeInspector3852.pdf

Links to application form and other docs -> http://www.fera.defra.gov.uk/careers/jobVacancies/index.cfm

A science based degree for this?
It's probably advisable. It may be a relatively humble role, but I presume you need the ability to assess some fairly dry documentation and communicate it effectively to those of damper tastes, as well as prepare statistical reports to a higher standard than, say, a mere economist. It's bees at stake, after all.

More to the point, it's not as if it's a seller's market and, despite the rumours, there's no shortage of science graduates in various forms of un- and under-employment. It may not amount to a career as such, but it beats an internship.

The main point was the salary and the fact that many if not mostofthe best beeks I know have no scientific qualifications.

Last edited:
A science based degree for this?

If you polled current SBI's not many would have a relevant science degree.
It's probably in the job spec. because it's essentially a civil service role, and to justify a certain salary band or something like that.
In any case, what degrees are relevant to beekeeping?

Update:
Here's a link to the actual job advert: https://secure.fera.defra.gov.uk/beebase/downloadNews.cfm?id=124
It makes it clear that strong practical beekeeping is the primary requirement. However, the degree is an alternative that would be considered.

Last edited:
Actually, the advert says "degree or equivalent in relevant subject *OR* beekeeping experience" - which seems quite reasonable.

The salary does seem quite low, especially considering the calibre of people that they seem to attract. I guess people are doing it for the love of beekeeping rather than in order to get rich.

Does anybody know if they're increasing the number of inspectors or have loads of SBIs given up?

I asked in the other thread, which has now been buried.

Does anybody know if they're increasing the number of inspectors or have loads of SBIs given up?

I don't think its expansion.

I looked on the NBU website https://secure.fera.defra.gov.uk/beebase/public/Contacts/contacts.cfm
and scrolled down to my "region" (South East).
They list five counties (inc Surrey, where there is a vacancy posted).
And contact details for five inspectors.

Perhaps its just a policy of re-advertising the positions and inviting the current holder to re-apply?
Its only short-term contact work, job-security is not included!

Hi

Having spoken to 1 or 2 in the past i think the jobs may have to be advertised as its a seasonal role and up for grabs. Even if there is an inspector from last season they have to go through the process.........

Ian

I looked on the NBU website and scrolled down to my "region" (South East). They list five counties (inc Surrey, where there is a vacancy posted). And contact details for five inspectors.

Perhaps its just a policy of re-advertising the positions and inviting the current holder to re-apply? Its only short-term contact work, job-security is not included!
I count 45 SBI names listed on the contacts page, 7 to recruit means 52 total. About 13%, that's a low turnover for seasonal employment. Another way of looking at it is average SBI employment is over 7 years; for every one that lasts only one season there's another there for 13. The usual seasonal recruitment drift is that last year's employees take permanent positions, some as RBI. From what I've seen and heard, many appear to be on second or third career so there's probably a high retirement rate.

No formal job security, but nearly all appear to be working the same area for several years so there must be some invitations to take up the post again. it might well be that this year is more public than previous years, I don't recall previous emails. That might be a change of recruitment policy rather than increased turnover.

If you polled current SBI's not many would have a relevant science degree....In any case, what degrees are relevant to beekeeping?
Entomology? Zoology? Other biological? There's an increasing emphasis on identifying invasive species so classification or survey skills would be relevant. Disease lifecycles and pathology are all basic biology skills, Epidemiology is probably more widely featured than it used to be. Some of the potential for disease treatment like gene knockdown could use some molecular background, at least up to a field trials stage. Sterile procedures and lab practice comes in handy for preventing disease transmission. Reading the research papers is a skill in itself, sorting out the relevant from the padding and the scope of what's being covered. If the educational remit increases at the expense of routine inspection, there will be a lot more ad-hoc interpretation of research and regulations presented to the practical beekeepers. If you look at trends in medicine the emphasis in increasingly 'evidence based' which generally means at least recognising that you're treating the subject with some rigour.

I'm not saying it's all exclusive to university teaching and degrees, but there's a lot of content that could be useful.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back