Virgin queen introduction

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grub

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
3 14x12
Hi All

Any good tips on Virgin Queen introduction to a nuc .

Grub

The norm is plonk her in as she has not really much of a scent yet and the bees will accept her.

PH

Does this apply if there's a laying worker in there?

If the virgin is from your hives, take nuc bees from the hive which has reared the queen.

Sorry didn't write it down properly, if I make a nuc up with q cell but for some reason q does not mate/survive? And a worker starts to lay drones can you still add a virgin?

Last edited:
Freer 4.
**l*nies with laying w*rkers are relu*tant t* a**ept queens.
If it's a nu* with laying w*rkers, better t* shake the* *ut in fr*nt *f a str*ng **l*ny *ne evening, re**ve the nu*, then start again later.

Grub.
T* answer the *riginal questi*n, Virgins that appear t* be a**epted when intr*du*ed *ften g* *issing a few days later.

Last edited:
Grub

Are you testing our reading skills or something :D

Apologies for post 12. No idea what happened there. It went wrong, I edited it Ok and it was still crazy!

Freer 4.
**l*nies with laying w*rkers are relu*tant t* a**ept queens.
If it's a nu* with laying w*rkers, better t* shake the* *ut in fr*nt *f a str*ng **l*ny *ne evening, re**ve the nu*, then start again later.

Grub.
T* answer the *riginal questi*n, Virgins that appear t* be a**epted when intr*du*ed *ften g* *issing a few days later.

Believe it or not the whole forum went like this for a short time today it had a Norman Collier moment :D

Grub.
T* answer the *riginal questi*n, Virgins that appear t* be a**epted when intr*du*ed *ften g* *issing a few days later.[/QUOTE]

Good to know and to think some people sell them as virgins , just have to wait and see I have two nucs made up , the queens hatched out 5 mins from me picking them up from a friends hive in the boot of the car luckly I had put both the cells in to a plastic takeaway dish with the lid on so didnt have much choice of what to do for the best, came as a bit of a suprise though .

Grub

Update

Both queen laying so count myself lucky it worked

Grub

Back