Varroa treatment

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stumorph

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
How often should one check for Varroa, The person i bought my bees from makes a weekly check and the training apairy I go to made acheck last week and thet said they dont put the varroa tray back until the autumn which is right :confused:

I only do checks at end of summer unless I have concerns, chewed wings etc. if the bees look strong and active let them get on with it!

How often should one check for Varroa, The person i bought my bees from makes a weekly check and the training apairy I go to made acheck last week and thet said they dont put the varroa tray back until the autumn which is right :confused:

A monthly check, leaving the board in for 3 or 4 days (and out all the rest of the time), is a reasonable compromise for the hobby beekeeper.

The varroa mite population, unchecked, can double every 3 or 4 weeks.
You need to be able to see the pattern, rather than a single measurement.

Believe high scores, but treat low scores as being "at least" that many.
A sudden jump can be caused by robbing out a failing hive, and bringing home their varroa as well as their honey.
So, if you see a jump, it could be a real step-change in the varroa numbers. Check again, ASAP.

I don't think much of a "training apiary" that teaches that varroa should only be checked twice a year.
Some "bee farmers" might do that, through lack of time. But as a hobby beekeeper, you can do better. And with just a few colonies, you don't have their luxury of 'playing the numbers'.

Does checking the varroa board in every week mean that the varroa board is in all the time? If so that case you are losing much of the benefit of the OMF, as the whole point of it is that mites that fall off fall to the floor and can't climb back.

A monthly check, leaving the board in for 3 or 4 days (and out all the rest of the time), is a reasonable compromise for the hobby beekeeper...
Heard that separately from two inspectors; it appears to be close to what many inspectors consider best practice.

A precaution against losing some mites by wind or ant scavenging is to smear the board with petroleum jelly or cooking oil. Forking a sample of drone brood and counting the percentage with one or more mites confirms the mite levels and is the other method in the FERA documentation. Sugar rolling, as described on Michael Bush's web pages, is another counting method that you could try.

Does checking the varroa board in every week mean that the varroa board is in all the time? If so that case you are losing much of the benefit of the OMF, as the whole point of it is that mites that fall off fall to the floor and can't climb back.

No my board is not in but was just trying to find out which is best I have checked with defra and they recommend 4 times a year,
Thanks for everyones help I am less confused now.

Forking a sample of drone brood and counting the percentage with one or more mites confirms the mite levels and is the other method in the FERA documentation.

Unless you really know how to interpret that it can be misleading, as the mites aren't evenly distributed and you can be lulled into a false sense of security. Checking the board much more reliable IMHO.

Latest posts

Back