US style feeders

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melias

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Why doesn't anyone in the UK use the US style external feeders (upside-down glass bottle near entrance)?
Seems like a good way to feed bees without having to open the hive in cool weather.

US hobby beekeepers love their toys. Even in up feeding they use their jelly j ars.
That kind of feeding invite robbers. Continuous up feeding let the heat escape from the hive.
They keep their jars the whole summer. To feed sugar during summer is not clever. That is why they hives escape and even if summer is long, hives cannot build up because they are full of syrup.

I have been years in their forum and so I see their hobby habits.

When we talk about emergency feeding, I use allways 65% , strong syrup. Feeding happening is quick. I do not feed water to them 1:1 because bees ventilate water away in couple of days.
In cold weather it makes only condensation. Your bees get allways water from ground when needed

If you need to feed you feed not faff around with dribbles.

Yes the Yanks love their toys and so do we....

PH

The simple answer is: Disease.

AFB is a notifiable disease in the UK and the colony will be destroyed if infected.

AFB 'hotspots' are found around the country where outbreaks are regular and persistent. These are usually where AFB has (a) been a problem previously or (b) where there are honey processors (nearly all imported honey comes with an AFB risk). Neither you nor your near beekeeping neighbours want an AFB outbreak. Re-occurrence is then very much higher on the probability scale. Isolated outbreaks are bad enough without encouraging them in any way.

Sometimes what seems like a good way is sometimes a really risky way to do it - when you stop and think about it.

Why doesn't anyone in the UK use the US style external feeders (upside-down glass bottle near entrance)?
Seems like a good way to feed bees without having to open the hive in cool weather.

:rolleyes: You mean like this ?

Goog God, it looks more like a central heating system!

Entrance feeders will encourage robbing which is why they are not ideal. However the one above looks like the syrup is piped straight into the hive.

Yes It is drip feeding through a cork at the end :)

us feeder

there is only one bee in there......... and its huge;)

next project lol,l will fit a vacuum in to my supers to extract the honey bee-smillie

Last edited:
Back