Unusual uncapped cells?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmmaKC

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Any ideas about this? Been keeping bees for 5 years. Every year brings something new doesn't it?
This previously busy hive has gone quiet. We can't find the queen or any sign of laying. This frame came from the middle of our box and looked unusual to us. Usually we would see lots of different coloured pollen etc in the uncapped cells. But these look mostly the same. We were worried about disease although we cannot see any other signs of disease.

If it's healthy, we will introduce a new queen but didn't want to if there is something wrong with it.

Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• 20240713_164158.jpg
    20240713_164158.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 7
They look like some animal has eaten them.
I wondered that. No sign of infiltrators although we do keep getting slugs in our other hive. This year has been awful for slugs.

Thanks everyone.

I had two frames like that. I am convinced it is slug damage, Eaten down to the foundation in small areas or maybe just left as there was slug goo on it.

I have slug storage too. Along with woodlice a scurrying through the roof.

can't find the queen or any sign of laying.
we will introduce a new queen
What is the timeline for last BIAS?
How often do you inspect?
Have you put in a test frame?

If they've swarmed, a virgin may be in there and you will waste £40 putting in another queen.

Latest posts

Back