Top insulation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OMF, 2 layers of rubbised underlay, could have been 3 or 4. No damp, all hives are strong coming out of winter, still got fondant on and if the bees want it it's there. All taking in pollen. Can't wait to see whats happening in the hives.

50mm kingspan in all roofs, all glass quilts/all OMF all (30) ok so far

I had a glass too many last night and forgot to close the conservatory doors after letting the dog out before going to bed. The window in the sitting room was left open too :eek: :eek:
It was bloody freezing down there when I got up in the morning.
A bit like bees with OMF and matchsticks bee-smilliebee-smillie

OMF, No top insulation just covered the hole in crown board all is well :smilielol5:

And how have the bees overwintered????

How would I know? I am not going into the colonies to find out just yet!

Simple fact is that a strong colony can survive outside, no particular problem to them.

Mary in Warwickshire had a colony in the corner of the window brickwork and that survived the snow in 2010. I think it may have finally succumbed to wasp attack last summer, but I am not sure.

I do know, from past experience, that insulation pays dividends. I know that insulated sides on my Dartingtons lead to brood right up to the side walls (as long as it does not slip down, as it did on one side of one Dartington last year, leading to a very lop-sided brood nest in spring).

A sheet of EPS under the roof costs less than a quid. It only needs to save a kilo of stores to be well ahead (my hives usually over-winter on honey stores). My colonies have not needed to be fed fondant this winter at all.

Go figure. Finman needs insulation for his bees to survive. He knows that with open OMFs the bees consume far more stores. I don't wonder why; you might. None of my hives have been damp in the last 8 years. Go figure.

I could weigh hives and compare winter weight loss, but I don't. I don't have enough hives to get a certain result that is reliable. I don't need to. Common sense tells me that it is a fact that insulation has a payback far in excess of cost. I have overwintered small colonies that would almost certainly have perished in an uninsulated hive. I also know that the greatest heat losses in a house are through an uninsulated roof. I know that it is damp conditions which are more likely to lead to over-winter losses. My bees over-winter very well usually.

But actually quantifying the differences at the beginning of a cold March is a laugh, a mug's game.

Some may just be happy that the colony has survived this far. That is not a measure of whether insulation should be used or not.

RAB

If some one is proud of non isulated hives + hole in inner cover, let him be.
Makes no sence but it is his own business.

Have 2 inch polystyrene insulation in both hives. Visited them today @ 9c and found neither in trouble. Checked if they needed fondant but neither had taken any of the fondant from early Jan.
I saw a lot of bees in the crown board escape hole area and have made the assumption that they are alive and mobile enough to get the fondant if they need it.

Will now leave them until late March.
I agree with Rab ...best left alone at the moment and they are not in the clear yet.

Sam

OMF - no top insulation - closed crown board

Double brood boxes, so Winter stores not really an issue.

All colonies alive and well..............so far.

Latest posts

Back