Swarming Trigger & Boards

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaxx

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Over the last week, I've done an artificial swarm the 'regular' way, and a second using a Wedmore board I knocked up.

I want to try a Snelgrove board so I can bleed bees back into the parent hive but what's niggling at me is how does it stop the hive swarming?

I mean, the Snelgrove board has fine mesh but the bees above and below can still contact/lick each other to pass scent and pheromones. So after a few days you'd have sealed queen cells in the top box, and I'd assume the bees above the board would inform the bees below, they have sealed queen cells and a swarm would ensue. Independent of how much space you gave the bees below the board. Or not? Have I missed a trick anyone who's used one before?

Cheers.

There are two methods described in Snelgroves book depending on whether they have started producing queen cells or not. Most association libraries have a copy or you might consider it worth buying your own. The method is basically a modified demaree.The queen cells are built in the top BC more as a result of an emergency impulse rather than a swarming impulse. The presence of queen cells in the top BC doesn't seem to have any measurable effect on the bees in the bottom BC so swarming doesn't usally occur.

Hard question, lots of views and only one reply.

Thanks for the reply MasterBK, read some past posts on the forum, seems some people have experienced swarms after implementing the Snelgrove board, but its not common. Some wait till there's a new laying queen in the top box and the lower queen didn't leave.

Think I'll stick with a solid board, and newspaper combine. Don't want to risk a swarm if possible. :)

Snelgrove board use is a tad stringent in terms of timing, which is fine if your bees are close to hand but not so convenient if they're at a distance and you don't have the luxury of leisure.

You could try a Horsley board instead, but if you've had good results with standard AS & letting them have a read, it's probably a case of ain't broke, don't fix.

Latest posts

Back