Swarm leaves a hive...and then returns

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had the same thing happen yesterday with mine.
In the garden around 10am and they emerged flew around for around 15 mins then just settled back on the hive and within 30 mins it was all over.

Made a nuc up from a strong hive with two nice looking QC's. This morning went to check and as I approached they were swarming out and settled about 50 yds away. Had a look in the nuc box and found one QC torn down (side entry) and one hatched (no sign of virgin). Perfect you might think but why did they swarm if they only have one Queen?

Anyway 20 minutes later they all returned to the nuc en masse. Not sure whether the Quenn went with them and returned or got lost on route or stayed in the nuc all the time! Time will tell I guess but any thoughts?

Even more strange!!

How about this then.
Last week I was called to my Bro-in-law on the Isle-of-Sheppey about 15 miles away. He had a swarm in the garden and of course he thought they were his.

So I made my way over there about an hour later. Swarm is still in situe on the green house drain pipe, quite a nice size too.
So between us we got them into a Brood box, and watched them climb up the sheet into the entrance. Job done or so we thought.

We left them alone and went to the home hive where we thought the swarm had come from, to carry out a full inspection to see what was left and cull all except one queen cell.
Well there was no difference from the last inspection, bees quite happy, a double brood with super above the queen excluder as per the book.

Then Tony noticed that the bees were different to the swarm bees in that the swarm were much more colourful. So they are not his bees. Thank goodness, we were both relieved and retired for a well earned cup of rosy lee.

1.5 hrs later..... guess what the hived swarm had all gone, not a trace, just the odd two or three bees hanging on the comb.

Today I was called out by my Mother where I have another one of my 8 Hives, just over a mile away. The neighbors had a swarm in the garden on an apple tree. By the time I got there an hour later they had moved on.
But with great pleasure I discovered that my bees were still there, and as busy as ever.

So to sum up do Swarming bees get attracted to other hives or Apiaries, by smell or is this just a case of coincidence???
Has anyone else had a silmilar event?

Bob.

I heard of something similar in an apiary I attend. A hive swarmed but eventually went back into the hive! Further investigation showed that accidently someone had placed a QE between the Q and the exit. The effect being hte Q couldn't leave.

I have had this happen last year and this year, I put it down to the queen does not like walking on the mesh floor.?
John

Several asking as to the cause of the mystery. I keep asking whether the bees that are doing this might be related in some way. Like all from one country, imported by any one of several bee suppliers? I would not be surprised if that were the case, either directly or a couple generations previous.

Regards, RAB

There is distinct orange on the banding on mine, pointing I believe to some 'Italian' blood.

Latest posts

Back