Swarm control ( Not that again !! )

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cut queens' wing and that stops swarm's sudden run away.

Then, I must sheck the hives weekly and I make AS when I see queen cells.
Those hives which are not going to swarm, need no AS.

It is easier when I do AS procedures only when needed.

I never will do AS for sure. Milk in queen cell is a key.

But Quite often I meet a hive which has no eggs, and it tells that the swarm has tried to go with clipped queen.

Last edited:
With enough colonies to try out things , I'll have a go at all these options.

The Full AS is always good.
I'll try a couple of colonies on the demaree system. As we have a few Hives marked down for comb replacement.
And I could maybe split a couple of Nucs from the top b/box.
If I get the chance, I'll slip in a bit of " Judicious Integrated Swarm Management "
Sounds so much better than " judicious boost management "

Finnman..
Point taken on the Nucs and OSR in bloom. I'll watch the brood space / nectar.

Last edited:
And I could maybe split a couple of Nucs from the top b/box.
It sounds pretty much like my plan for the next season :) The only difference is… I treat nucks as spare and probably unnecessary equipment. :) Taking in account that I make my own poly BBs (remember “poly sandwich” topic ;) ) Thus I`m planning to split top BB on 5-7th day after AS, putting 2-3 frames of brood in a separate poly BB with it`s own QC, adding 2-3 frames of stores, plus putting pollen substitute patties if the need arise( When Quinn will be mated and start laying) . Not sure yet whether should I block mesh floors in this BBs or not in order to maintain higher temp. in small colony, but it`s probably a subject for experiment and comparison of both optiones ;)

Last edited:
I've already got two colonies in mind for the Demaree system ( both are due for comb change ) And I'll see if I can make it work for me..

I'm Currently making some lower double hive stands !!!!!
This way I'll be able to reach the top B/box and stand a spare floor next the main hive in order to swop brood frames about..
If I can time it right and give them a couple of drawn frames and plenty of foundation to sort out... I'm thinking they will be too busy to swarm !!!!!

Once I've got brood in both boxes ,I'm hoping I can keep a big colony rolling by moving brood frames about on a weekly basis , harvest a few supers. And remove old combs a few at a time...
Sounds great on here !!!! Lets see how it goes in real life !!!!

With so much going on in the hive , it seems easlier to make some Nucs from the top b/box, and use these for re-queening , if need bee.....

Anyway BIG Plans !!!! not worthy

P.S. In my spare time , I'll keep an eye on the other 20 colonies , do a full time job and enjoy the summer....:sunning:

P.P.S. I've just read that back to myself and decided " I talk a good Job......:icon_204-2:

Back up plan , if it all goes wrong " Do a full AS and keep away for 14 days "

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back