Supercedure... Again?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birdsandbees

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
20 ish
Hi all,

I have a colony collected this year as a swarm, from the indicators she must have been a virgin queen but when she started laying brood production was slow to get going, a couple of weeks ago I spotted supercedure cells and thinking the colony knows best let it run its course, on inspecting this weekend the new queen was spotted and young brood in evidence, however, there looks to be another supercedure cell on the face of one of the combs, could this be a play cup or do you think they are still unhappy with the new queen?

Also

Second part of the question is because I'm collecting a Nuc this week with a pure bred Buckfast Queen from Ged Marshall stock, would it be worth trying to breed a daughter from her to introduce into the other colony or should I just let them carry on for now?

More developed than the cup on the right, quite long, hard to see for definite but I think it had young larva in it, not capped yet though.

Latest posts

Back