Storing undrawn supers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rock_Chick

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
I’ve got a few supers with undrawn foundation, ( never been on a hive ) what best way to store them over winter. And to keep them fresh for next year.

As they haven't been on a hive there is no reason to freeze the frames. To store them you could use a garage, shed, stacked in the apiary with boards both ends and ratchet strapped. Alternatively above your crownboards on the hives you have, if you are using insulation above the crownboard and it is surrounded by an eke then on top of the insulation.

As they haven't been on a hive there is no reason to freeze the frames.
Agree.
Alternatively above your crownboards on the hives
Disagree. 🙂

Tall winter hives increase the risk of the lot blowing over in a strong wind. Rain penetrates between boxes, resulting in mould.

Tall winter hives increase the risk of the lot blowing over in a strong wind. Rain penetrates between boxes, resulting in mould.
I've done it in the past, a maximum of 2 supers without issue, either ratchet strapped or just a brick on top. My normal stacking is floor with closed entrance block, supers perhaps brood chambers, stacked upto 6 feet crownboard and roof, ratchet strapped to pallets either wooden or plastic.

I’ve got a few supers with undrawn foundation, ( never been on a hive ) what best way to store them over winter. And to keep them fresh for next year.
I have ten undrawn frames.
I've put them in a large polythene bag tightly sealed.
Been there for months and seem to be OK.

Foundation will be safe enough, all my foundation frames are stored in empty supers/broods and stacked under cover to keep off the worst of the weather.

Well, they eat into wood and poly and will lay eggs on many other surfaces (had a major infestation from hell this summer) so a plastic bag or foundation will be a snack to them. Even had cocoons on a waterproof jacket and on carpet in the car...

Less of a worry at this time of year as wax moth activity slows as the weather cools: 32C is ideal reproductive temp.

Greater WM has a very flexible cycle, so eggs laid now may well develop in spring. Lesser WM does not cause much damage.

Best option is either sulphur, Dipel or Bruco; both of those are Bacillus thuringiensis v.Kurstakii from Pro Green. Bruco is slightly cheaper, but not cheap, so split it into small containers and sell to other beekeepers.

Last edited:

Ericbeaumont I know BT kills caterpillars, larva etc and it doesn't hurt bees BUT I thought it could kill bee larva and bees could carry it into the hives from the garden so you should use with caution. I don't know if you use it on/around stored hives how long it stays "active". Any thoughts or more info??

Double whammy for us this year frames frozen and sprayed with dipel.

Freezing doesnt need to involve any chemicals.
That said I'm blessed with my own big freezers so all the honey supers live in there for winter.
I have some spare brood frames in too but these are swapped periodically for the ones in another (dead ) freezer that has acetic acid pads in.

Latest posts

Back