Some questions about aggression and best queens to buy for beginners

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Good morning

I am only a 2nd year beekeeper and have only handled my bees so have nothing to compare them too. They don't mind me being near the hives or my dog walking up near them which I like, but they seem to have started to dislike inspections and have noticed they seem a little more nervous on the frames and on occasions started to jump off frames onto me and sometimes trying to sting. I guess I just wanted to know is this normal behaviour from most bees or are they a little more defensive than average bees people keep?

I also have a possible queen less split and was contemplating buying a new queen for them as I have never had the experience of trying a select bred queen (my bees were just bought fairly local) I guess I wanted some opinions on which queens were good and calm for beginners and if I should try a new queen or just stick to my current stock.

Difficult question. There is such a difference between defensive and aggressive. I don't mind bees that are a little defensive at some times during the year. If that happens all year then I will kill the queen and combine with a quieter hive. I hate aggressive bees that are on you from the outset and follow you home. I try to get rid of them as soon as I am sure this is a trait and not something else! For example my worst hive for the first three inspections this year are now my quietest. I give them a chance or two and then take action. Nothing is worse than letting them get so aggressive that finding the queen gives you palpitations.
E

Have a beer after inspection not before could be the problem as they don't like alcohol.

In your second year with mongrel bees, they are now to full hive strength. This is the time when you discover whether they are very defensive or not. I have Buckfast, AMM and mongrels, they all have their die hard fans. For beginners and some old timers they pick Buckfasts for their gentle nature but if the queen has been open mated there is a possibility of a more defensive nature. Other calm ones are Carniolian and Italian. But once they swarm the next generation could be more defensive. Then there are the AMM's some are calm some not so. Once you have what you want then you may end up replacing your queens every year for the temperament you want. Also the area or forage makes them defensive.

May seem strange... many things in beekeeping are.. just moving a grumpy colony a few feet from its current stance can ( and often does) make a difference to their temperament.

Not even suggesting getting out the dousing rods to find out where the bees want to bee!!

Chons da

When I first started keeping bees, my bees were actually quite aggressive/defensive but I knew no different. I raise my own queens and over the years have selected primarily for temperament. They are open mated, but any more unacceptable, then HM gets the chop. They are now good to handle, but as said, can have their moments, for example at end of OSR

Latest posts

Back