Should I replace emergency cells with a swarm cell?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Icing Sugar

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Due to a bee keeping mishap for which I am responsible, I presently have a queenless hive in which some emergency queen cells have formed. These are presently unsealed and the larvae in royal jelly are therefore easy to see.

In another hive (which I have split this morning to prevent a swarm) I have some unsealed swarm cells. Again the larvae in royal jelly are easy to see.

Am I right in thinking that a queen bee from a swarm cell would be preferable to a queen bee from an emergency cell? If so, should I put a frame with a single swarm cell into the queenless hive and destroy all of the emergency cells at the same time?

If not, why not?

You could do that, but I wouldn't bother. I understand your reasoning but if the emergency cells look a good size I would stick with them. Others may not!
I doubt there is a definitive answer sorry

I agree. I don't think a well fed emergency queen is inferior to a swarm queen.

Another thing to think about is whether or not the 2 colonies are of the same parentage, ie sisters or mother and daughter or not. It may be a secondary concern but if not related, surely better to have queens from each unless 1 is on the dodgy side. Genetic variation and all that:.)

Latest posts

Back