Sandwich unite

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
24 + a few nucs....this has to stop!
Good morning, I have a hive on dble BB which I will reduce to single for the winter as the number of bees is quite low. They have just changed their queen, not laying yet.
As the temper was poor with the other one and this apiary consistently produce aggressive bees, I will not take my chances and going to unite now.
As it's an out apiary, to save me travelling twice, can I just sandwich the BB with the good queen between the 2 BB or should I bleed into 1 box 1st and unite after?

Good morning, I have a hive on dble BB which I will reduce to single for the winter as the number of bees is quite low. They have just changed their queen, not laying yet.
As the temper was poor with the other one and this apiary consistently produce aggressive bees, I will not take my chances and going to unite now.
As it's an out apiary, to save me travelling twice, can I just sandwich the BB with the good queen between the 2 BB or should I bleed into 1 box 1st and unite after?
I am a bit confused as to what you mean. Can you explain in simpler terms for my old brain, thanks

Why complicate things, BB with good queen on top, after the unite condense down. For uniting with paper, only one sheet is needed. The sandwich would require 2 and you are separating a brood area, the BB with the good queen may chew the paper in the lower section and not the upper section.

Last edited:
I am a bit confused as to what you mean. Can you explain in simpler terms for my old brain, thanks
I think I confused myself as well 🤣. As @Anduril said, I will probably add the box with good queen on top of the dble and condense afterwards.
Why complicate things, BB with good queen on top, after the unite condense down.
Yes, that was option 3, the easiest 👍

Latest posts

Back