Rotherham area - a guide required + swarm collection

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TPP

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Firstly Hello everyone I am a new member. I am also a pest controller but please do go easy on me as I have come here to hopefully find out much more about bees, bee keeping, bee keepers etc. and to improve the information and advice I pass to the public as part of my job.
I don't keep bees though I would like to but for now I think learning much more about them would be best.

Today I visited a property with a reported wasp nest. Turned out to be a swarm of honey bees in a tree outside. I advised they were resting and would probably move on in 24hours and that no action was necessary. Hopefully they will last the night out and move on tomorrow as its forecast for low temps and ground frost tonight.

If there is anyone in the Rotherham/South Yorkshire area who wouldn't mind me coming along to have a look at what you do etc then that would be most helpful. Also if anyone knows of a local group/meeting in my area that I could go along to that would also be of assistance.
I do have a bee suit.

Additionally as I often get called out for wasp nests that actually turn out to be honey bee swarms resting in bushes, trees etc is there anyone in the South Yorkshire area who would want to take swarms from me/collect?

Thanks

I do have a bee suit.

Thanks

hi ya, another newbie looking at aquiring bee's, also a pest controller, just as a cautionary note, is your bee suit one that you use when treating wasp's nest's?
as if so, you may want to get another for bee looking, as FICAM D can stay on the suit, and thus get transferred over to someone's hives if they were to take you along, not a good outcome

or give it a good wash inbetween

Hi. Yes I had anticipated this may be an issue. Initially I would look to put suit through a full washing machine cycle prior to any visit however I would have no problem getting a new bee only suit and keeping it totally seperate. They are good value for price and I can always "hand me down" a bee suit to my biz and keep replacement new suits for bees only.
Thanks for raising this point.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

Hi

This may be too late but google Rotherham Beekeepers you will find they meet during the winter months. However you can make contact through this site and I am sure there will be a beekeeper in the area willing to help. The association also has its own aipary

Blimey, the original post was 18 months ago.!!!
E

Latest posts

Back