Rosewood / Ebony

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackcavebees

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hey guys, winter is coming, and on to the projects ...

Starting to collect items to build a banjammer (banjo dulcimer) and looking for some ebony or rosewood for the fretboard. Doesn't have to be to size as I can plane it down but needs to be 28-29" long by 3" wide minimum. Needs to be a hardwood like above, mahogany too soft to hold fretwires. Would prefer to source locally here in NI but could be posted from mainland. Any ideas?

Thanks, Stephen:serenade:

You might try guitartonewoods4luthiers dot co.uk

Such woods are considered to be exotic and tend to come from overseas.

I think that imported ebony and rosewood are banned in certain countries and if found with it you could end up in hot water like Gibson
And if considering making the knobs from ivory that is banned as well

I take it that Gibson is the firm of the name that makes guitars?
Unfortunately we don't seem have many suitable hardwoods to replace the traditional ones used by luthiers to make instruments. It's a weather thing!

No experience with musical instruments but if you want a similar timber to rosewood have a look at Padauk.

Hi,

Sam Moore, in TemplePatrick, his company is called "the wood shed" you can find him on line. He usually has the best stock of exotic hardwoods in Ireland.
I got both ebony and rosewood from him before and it was excellent Quality stuff.
If your still having trouble getting it send me a private message and I will organise it for u!

Hi,

Sam Moore, in TemplePatrick, his company is called "the wood shed" you can find him on line. He usually has the best stock of exotic hardwoods in Ireland.
I got both ebony and rosewood from him before and it was excellent Quality stuff.
If your still having trouble getting it send me a private message and I will organise it for u!

Thanks! Only 20 mins from me and I didn't know he was there.

Back