Robing in December??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have they still not bread 12 udder cows that milk themselves yet :toetap05:

Having described previously how serious disease can be when you get it in your area,and having to go round destroying colonys because someone has done something stupid,i would say just be vigilant.

viglance?

Every inspection should involve awareness of disease.

However paralysis due to fear of disease is something else.

PH

Every inspection should involve awareness of disease, yes, but many of your nieghbours might get funny when you ask to inspect there colonys,and its difficult to inspect feral colonys,and its too late when they have to be burnt,prevention is better than cure. you better just believe it.

Enigmatic.

You cannot inspect your neighbours bees.

If you keep a good eye on your OWN stocks and keep away from hot spots such as factories then all should be well.

There is a definite paranoia in engerland over disease.

PH

Why Hivemaker?

Over the northern border there is no such constant worry over disease yet down here it is a frankly paranoid state. What are the odds of actually contracting a notifiable disease?

In my time in Scotland there was I think, one episode of AFB in 20 years?

PH

Down here we had big problems, destroying 40 hives belonging to one beekeeper who brought disease into the area,buying lots of infected hives and eqipment, and selling lots of this off cheap to other beekeepers,including nuc's of bee's,some outside the area,full stocks of bee's,then the disease popping up here there and eveywhere, in individual hives of different beekeepers, went round with the bee inspector even killing and blocking the entrances of all known feral colonys. This took years to bring under some kind of control,and still appears to this day. Before it was not known of around here in living memory of any local beekeepers. The local association had cases each year for 3 years in the association apairy, bee inspector nearly had to take up residence. This was all caused by one person,he got the nickname dr death among local beekeepers.Some of the older beekeepers had a real bad habit of even putting extracted combs out for the bee's to clean,which made me cringe before we had any disease,then the one's that chuck the old brood combs on the bonfire(not lit) saying they will burn a few days later. so these are the reasons i'm perhaps over paranoid,in an area with no disease,no problem,but can you be 100% sure theres not one idiot around the corner. It was back at this time i became very interested in microscopy,for disease recognition,spent £600 for a microscope,and did a short course at the plymouth university site,and was shown the correct methods by Mike Brown of the NBU,and others.

Last edited:
Every time I set out on the road there is no assurance there is not an idiot around the corner.

I feel for you as a commercial person that one person, you say, has caused all this trouble for you and others.

However I still feel, from many years of reading that in england there is a level of suspicion about the health of bees that is just a tad over cautious.

I suspect the examination system is possibly part of it, maybe even a major part.

PH

Polyannwood, I agree with Finman. Reduce your hive entrances to no more than 1 centimetre. I'm fascinated that your hives were flying - I have occasionally lost a roof during high winds, but I have never personally experienced a flying hive!

Hi polyhive, don't be too complacent:toetap05:.
Here in the north west of Engerland we are relatively free of afb/efb. however a case was reported within 5/6 miles of me (just out side the exclusion zone ).

Don't forget, Scotcherland is relatively sparsely populated and presumably sparsely populated with bees ?
Take a line from the Dee estuary to the Wash and you will find that south of this line, the incidents of notifiable diseases rises as does the populations of peeps and bees.
John

Do we have a word censor switched on for England and Scotland here?

Latest posts

Back