Removing old brood frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do224

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
I want to remove an old brood frame that currently has brood in it. Can I just swap it with an outer frame at the edge of the bb and wait for the brood to emerge before removing?

I want to remove an old brood frame that currently has brood in it. Can I just swap it with an outer frame at the edge of the bb and wait for the brood to emerge before removing?
Yes ... then when the brood has emerged replace it with a new frame - good time of year to get them drawing new brood frames.

Yes ... then when the brood has emerged replace it with a new frame - good time of year to get them drawing new brood frames.
Would I need to feed to encourage them to draw…if so would it need to be 1:1 as opposed to the 2:1 that I’m intending to give them in a couple of weeks?

Would I need to feed to encourage them to draw…if so would it need to be 1:1 as opposed to the 2:1 that I’m intending to give them in a couple of weeks?
doesn't really matter. They won't draw it if they don't need it but if you are feeding them they will draw it to store the food

Mine never have
Mine do.

We're told not to split the nest, but bees do it when they want to and this year mine have often filled those frames with pollen and honey.

Do I fiddle and move them to the edge of the nest? No, I let them be.

Or pollen and honey
Only seen that happen slap bang in the middle of a heavy flow, and then, only pollen (which makes sense really) never seen it at the end of the season.

Last edited:
Only seen thatc happen slap bang in the middle of a heavy flow, and then, only pollen (which makes sense really) never seen it at the end of the season.
Which is why it’s a good ruse to get more brood in fresh combs at this time of year.

Latest posts

Back