randoms and unexpected going on

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
24 + a few nucs....this has to stop!
I have 2 hives with some random activity going on-

Hive 1: swarmed 9 days ago. I made it hopelessly Q- and united on Saturday night with a Q right nuc placed over the super with newspaper. As I went in today to check if it had worked and reshuffle frames I spotted 3-4 charged Q cells in the nuc which was jammed packed with bees following the unite. Queen was present and accepted. I am not sure if they still have the swarming fever or the congestion in the nuc since Sunday has triggered it....or if they are trying to raise their own queen. I have knocked them down and will check again in 2-3 days

Hive 2- A couple of charged Qcs over 3 weeks ago. I placed the queen in a nuc and left them to it until today. I had a queen laying and found several frames of BIAS....as well as several Qcs, some capped, some not and found a virgin which was piping and no signs of another queen or a swarm taking off. I don't know what to make of this one or what to do.

On another note, I demaree a hive a few weeks back and have always checked for Qcs in the top box and removed them. I obviously missed a couple and as I looked at a frame so the virgin emerged at the same time which was really nice to see. Luckily I had a nuc in hand so placed her in there with a couple more frames. I also checked my mating nucs, queens emerged on the 28th and were all laying today.

1, suggest they were just hedging bets and hopefully that is it
2, no idea! Maybe they don't like the queen!
Sometimes there doesn't seem to be an answer to what and why!
E

Back