Queen is laying like crazy

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beagle23

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I thought I'd try something different this year and removed the queen excluders from my hives, I'm not sure if this is something I'll persist with next year, it's just context to my question.

I carried out an inspection yesterday and was surprised to find that not only was the brood box absolutely full of brood but so was the first super. I'm pleased that my queen seems so prolific but I'm concerned that going into Autumn I'm going to have a very sizeable colony, just when they should be dying back.
Thoughts?

Also, there's lots of pollen coming in at the moment, the ivy here hasn't flowered yet so I'm unsure what it is. Thoughts?

Thanks

I thought I'd try something different this year and removed the queen excluders from my hives, I'm not sure if this is something I'll persist with next year, it's just context to my question.

I carried out an inspection yesterday and was surprised to find that not only was the brood box absolutely full of brood but so was the first super. I'm pleased that my queen seems so prolific but I'm concerned that going into Autumn I'm going to have a very sizeable colony, just when they should be dying back.
Thoughts?

Also, there's lots of pollen coming in at the moment, the ivy here hasn't flowered yet so I'm unsure what it is. Thoughts?

Thanks
Nothing wrong with a large colony going into winter, just make sure they have enough food. I haven't used excluders for years, most of my colonies are roughly like yours at the moment. Consider nadering the shallow box in a couple of weeks and feed feed feed.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Thoughts?

Thanks

I've no excluders in my three brood/half collonys at home . Honey supers are of week two varroa treatment. I've found that because the honey supers only have 9/10 frames the queens won't go that far up so what's the need . I would use one though if it was a single brood and honey super configuration.
Hive 1: hovering on 50kgs
Hive2 : 54 kgs
Hive 3: 44kgs and have had 9 litres of syrup in 4/5:days.
I'm checking daily on the feeder.

Just done exactly the same 3 x Langstroth hives all now on 1 x B.B. & 2 x Supers with QX just removed. The honey in the supers is their winter food. All Q’s have moved up and laying in first super, B.B. full of BIAS

I've no excluders in my three brood/half collonys at home . Honey supers are of week two varroa treatment. I've found that because the honey supers only have 9/10 frames the queens won't go that far up so what's the need . I would use one though if it was a single brood and honey super configuration.
Hive 1: hovering on 50kgs
Hive2 : 54 kgs
Hive 3: 44kgs and have had 9 litres of syrup in 4/5:days.
I'm checking daily on the feeder.

Is it 2 pints of water per 2 x 1kg bags of sugar.

Just done exactly the same 3 x Langstroth hives all now on 1 x B.B. & 2 x Supers with QX just removed. The honey in the supers is their winter food. All Q’s have moved up and laying in first super, B.B. full of BIAS

I bet them hives weigh a bit . I wouldn't want to pick one up on my own . How much honey do you get in your supers my heaviest this year was 34lb 9 frame supers ,standard national. Your longstroth supers are bigger ?

Is it 2 pints of water per 2 x 1kg bags of sugar.

There's an old saying ." A pints a pound the world around"
There's 2.2lb a kg .
I don't weigh any thing I use a cup or jug poor sugar to the top twice then one full of water. And I make sure all sugar has dissolved whilst warming it up on a hob.

Last edited:
There's an old saying ." A pints a pound the world around"
There's 2.2lb a kg .
I don't weigh any thing I use a cup or jug poor sugar to the top twice then one full of water. And I make sure all sugar has dissolved whilst warming it up on a hob.

But will I be OK with 2 bags sugar to 2 pints of water. I have 6 bags of sugar mixed in with 6 pints of water. Undecided to give it to my bees just yet

But will I be OK with 2 bags sugar to 2 pints of water. I have 6 bags of sugar mixed in with 6 pints of water. Undecided to give it to my bees just yet

So you've 3 litres of water mixed with 6kgs of sugar 2:1
Or there abouts sounds ok to me . As I said I just measure it's easier.

I bet them hives weigh a bit . I wouldn't want to pick one up on my own . How much honey do you get in your supers my heaviest this year was 34lb 9 frame supers ,standard national. Your longstroth supers are bigger ?

To be honest I haven’t weighed them, yes they are heavy and the biggest mistake this season was lifting 2 supers together still full of bees as well. Was a bit more than I expected. Also found the short lugs on the Langstroth frames make it difficult to lift full brood frames

two POUNDS of sugar to one pint of water
six bags (assuming they're 2.2lb bags) of sugar dissolved in six pints of water is basically 2:1, slightly thicker in fact so it might re-crystalise over time.

To be honest I haven’t weighed them, yes they are heavy and the biggest mistake this season was lifting 2 supers together still full of bees as well. Was a bit more than I expected. Also found the short lugs on the Langstroth frames make it difficult to lift full brood frames

There a young man's game then. I'm assuming your a man and young . I know the feeling about weights changing the floors on mine was abit of a shock. I don't really know about your type of hive . What's the max weight you can have in one of your honey supers.

Sorry question ... and I'm being lazy as I problery could find it on here if I looked. Can I feed at the same as doing my OA vaping ?

Sorry question ... and I'm being lazy as I problery could find it on here if I looked. Can I feed at the same as doing my OA vaping ?

I am. That's not a piece of educating advise but it is what I'm doing.

Can't remember who said it but I use their measures for SS. Put any amount of sugar in a pan then fill with water until the level is back to the what the sugar was before you added the sugar.

Latest posts

Back